poor gas mileage!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm picking my '02 ST up at the dealer this afternoon. We have only been getting 10 mpg for the past few weeks with the engine stalling a few time too.

The dealer just called me to say it is ready and that they had found a code with a related TSB and had to reprogram the PCM. He also told me that seeing that they didn't "replace" any parts, that my FORD ESP warranty won't cover the cost! ($80):angry:

I'll keep you posted on whether or not this solved our problem.

The dealer just called me to say it is ready and that they had found a code with a related TSB and had to reprogram the PCM. He also told me that seeing that they didn't "replace" any parts, that my FORD ESP warranty won't cover the cost! ($80)

You would think this would be covered under the emissions warranty (not sure of your mileage though).

How many miles to a tank is not a accurate measure of MPG. In fact, it's pretty useless.

1) Fill up the tank. Reset the trip odometer to zero.

2) Drive it.

3) Fill up the tank, noting trip odometer reading and gallons pumped.

4) Take odometer reading, divide it by number of gallons pumped.

That's MPG. What most everyone on this thread is talking about is Range, which is not the same thing.

cruzrtwdgt, I'd argue that. If a part became loose in the suspension and they tightened it, it would be covered and no parts were replaced.

I usually get 13-15 MPG, and occasionally 16. That equals out to anywhere from 210-250 miles per tank. However, I rarely do any highway driving at all so I don't think it's awful.

I have an '01 Job 2 4x4 with about 45,000 miles. I have a K&N FIPK and a Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust. Even though my driving is pretty much all city, do you think it should still be higher? Maybe I should try to plugs and wires change too, or take it to a dealer.

I picked up my wife's ST from the dealer last night and noticed an immediate improvement when I started the truck. After they reprogrammed the PCM, it starts quicker and seems to idle smoother. The acceleration and power at highway speed has also improved. She filled the tank this morning, so we'll see if the MPG improves also.

I contacted Ford ESP customer service regarding the coverage for "repairs not including parts replacement". They pretty much were no help in answering my questions.

The issue I have with the warranty is that the dealer also found the power steering pump cooler is bad and a TSB calls for it to be replaced. They say this is what is causing a "rubbing" noise and shudder whenever it is steered left at slow speeds. The dealer has the part on order and now I'll have to pay the $50 deductible when it goes back in the shop again next week!

The truck was also in the shop yesterday because it is making a strange and loud "whirling" noise when it is in gear. (Possibly the tranny pump?) The mechanic didn't hear anything on his test drive, but when I picked it up last night, it starting doing it again before I even got out of their lot! So, I went back in and grabbed the Service Manager to take a listen too. He confirmed that there is an odd sound and it will be looked at again next week also.

RLymburner,

Close your "center" command in your signature.

Tom

</center>

Last edited by a moderator:
We did a 250 trip this weekend, all Interstate driving @ 75-80 miles per hour. And just our luck, we also had a 25+ headwind on the way there and on the way back the following day. The MPG figured up to 15.7 MPG. I'm fairly happy with those numbers.

This was also the first run for the tranny rebuild the dealer did last week. The ST definately running better these days.