popping or clicking noise from the steering wheel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Trax

Reaction score
Hi

I hope someone can help me figure this out. At 155K my truck is showing signs of wear. The steering wheel is making a popping or clicking noise during full 180 deg turns, it usually happens when the steering wheel comes back to go straight (not at max turns). The sound is coming from the wheel or near the hub where the ignition is located. This can sometimes cause the wheel to lock, but fortunately it is temporary. The sound reminds me the clicking that happens when you use your turn signal but instead of going in the direction of the turn signal you turn the other way and the turn stalk makes a clicking sound to reset. Do you guys have any ideas as to what's the problem? Thanks.

Clockspring? Cruise control or horn working?

Last edited by a moderator:
Replaced any of the front suspension bits - ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.? If not you may be hearing sound of worn parts transmitted through the steering column. Hard to say.

The horn and cruise control are ok but could the clock spring just be beginning to go. I've replaced the lower and upper ball joints months before this started happening. I wonder if it is the clock spring?

Last edited by a moderator:
My '96 Bronco was doing the same thing. One day it locked bad in a turn-time to investigate! The bearing at the uppermost in the column had failed and was chewing into the shaft. Was able to install a good used bearing and it went along for another 5 years til I sold it. It was due to some up/down play in the shaft itself. Next time it would have needed the shaft!

My first guess would also be the clockspring, but you might also want to test the tilting steering wheel. Try tilting the wheel up and down in the different postions and see if the poping and clicking gets better or worse....any change would indicate that the little U-Joint that allows the wheel to tilt is probably going bad.

...Rich

The steering wheel is actually locking while you try to turn it??? That sounds like something more than a clockspring to me. I would definetely have this looked at and repaired before it causes an accident.

There was a huge TSB on this, Ford replaced the bearings in the stweering colum. Had mione done under warrenty...

My wheel got so bad it was actually wobbeling around...LOL

Todd Z

Problem is that I don't reliably reproduce the locking, it happens randomly. I am now paying attention to how I turn and anything else.

Not sure if this TSB applies. Same description though.

Great. I will look at the several suggestions and try to eliminate each one. Thanks for the help guys. The truck is running well, but I will be selling sometime next year.

Latest posts