Possible bad alternator or battery ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I charged my Optima Red Top battery a couple of weeks ago, so I know it was fully charged. The past couple of days I have had to jump start our ST. I am going to have both tested today. If I do need a new alternator, do I stay with OEM specs or can I do a plus one (+1) upgrade? Any thoughts and / or recommendations would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to load test the batt, then test the alt......

Also check for an electrical drain and also check the battery connections..

Todd Z

It is the battery again. This is the 2nd Optima Red Top battery we've had in it. Each one only lasting about 2-1/2 yrs. - go figure. Time for a different battery? Which one has the best warrenty? I read on the site that Duralast Gold & Todd Z now has a Sears gel cell battery (a bit pricey if I recall).

Optima=waste of money

Get a Duralast Gold. Great warranty and will perform just as good as the Optima does for less money. Better warranty too.

Tom

Rodger- I followed Todd's recommendation and bought the Diehard P-2.

No regrets whatsoever. $189.99, and never on sale, but worth every penny.

135 minute reserve, 930 cold cranking amps, 4 year free replacement/100 month pro rated warranty.

Drops in place, unlike the odd shaped, slightly less expensive Optima Red Top

that requires retrofitting, and adapters to install. Much cleaner looking, IMO..

Check out the stellar reviews, including Consumer Reports top overall rating.

P.S.- The P-2 is an AGM "absorbed glass mat" type battery, not a "gel cell".

[Broken External Image]:

As Todd said, "This thing is mint". (8/3/09)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had my Optima go out about a week ago, after 4 years. The battery would charge and show that it was giving off voltage. But when we tested it with the load on it was not enough cold cranking amps to start it.

I took it back to COSTCO, and got an exchange. Cost me $3.48 extra for a new Red Top. I looked at the Optima web site and realized that what I need is a Optimal Yellow Top.

Anyone have a suggestion as to how I can exchange my brand new Optima Red Top for a Optima Yellow Top since COSTCO does not carry the Yellow Top in this area?

If you look at the Optime Batteries web site the Optime Red Top vs Optima Yellow Top:

The OPTIMA RedTop high-performance AGM battery is the ultimate high-CCA starting battery designed to deliver the strongest 5-second ignition power for a reliable start-up every time. The RedTop will outperform and outlast traditional batteries in demanding cranking/starting applications. With unparalleled high power delivery and extreme resistance to the most common causes of battery failure, the RedTop is idea for trucks, SUV's, luxury cars, hot rods, off-road vehicles and other applications that require a leak-proof starting-only battery.

The YellowTop high-performance AGM battery is one of the only true dual-purpose automotive batteries available. With premium cranking power and unparalleled cycling capability (rechargeability), it is perfect for modern accessory-loaded vehicles. The YellowTop can repeatedly bounce back from deep power drains to full energy capacity, so it can power plenty of electronics and still start you up time after time. Lower internal resistance also provides more consistent power output and faster recharges.

Trucks with winches, vehicles with multiple electronics, cars with high-demand audio systems, commercial vehicles and heavy equipment all rely on this battery to provide ultimate starting and deep cycle power.

Rodger,

How are you using your ST lately? Does it sit for extended periods of time?

Why did you need to charge your battery a couple of weeks ago?

Are you using your battery while the engine is not running?

:grin: