Possible throttle body issue?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blert

1st Gen Owner
2 wheel drive
2001 job 2
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Was checking for vacuum leaks with my "new" homemade smoke machine when I got smoke billowing out of my throttle body seal to the manifold. Removed the throttle body, cleaned it, and replaced the seal with a new one. Now that leak has been stopped but, when tested again, a little smoke can be seen coming from the area where the spring is (where the throttle cable attaches). Is this typical or there a seal inside there that is giving out?

Thanks for the reply.
No codes, running fine.
What prompted me to hunt down vacuum leaks?... the truck, for a very long time now, used to ping and rattle a lot on acceleration. Thought it might be the timing chains. Well, I recently replaced the brake booster. All rattle and pinging has stopped. Though it worked, the booster was in really bad shape. Figured I would hunt down any more vacuum leaks and found one large one, two minor ones and this one at the throttle body spring. I'll put it on the list of things to someday replace, low priority.

They are known for wearing out....

They are known for wearing out....
The throttle body?
Can it be rebuilt or should I just plan on getting a new one sooner or later?

They can be replaced easily..... Disassembly is not that hard really... Gogle explorer HALF SHAFT MOD and the video will show you how to take it apart, and then just get o rings and good. They used to sell repair kits but not sure any more. They may even still sell the TB new at rockauto.com.

Was checking for vacuum leaks with my "new" homemade smoke machine when I got smoke billowing out of my throttle body seal to the manifold. Removed the throttle body, cleaned it, and replaced the seal with a new one. Now that leak has been stopped but, when tested again, a little smoke can be seen coming from the area where the spring is (where the throttle cable attaches). Is this typical or there a seal inside there that is giving out?
Question about your smoke generator. You use it when the engine is off, correct? Then you are blowing the smoke into your vacuum line and looking for escaping smoke. At first, I thought the engine is running, which did not make sense to me.

Question about your smoke generator. You use it when the engine is off, correct? Then you are blowing the smoke into your vacuum line and looking for escaping smoke. At first, I thought the engine is running, which did not make sense to me.
Correct, engine not running.
You can go fancier with an air pump (bike, electric, compressed, etc) but I found that if you use too much pressure it is hard to see the leak. I just use a silicone hose long enough for me to walk around the front of the truck and gently blow the smoke into the system. I also remove the intake hose and use a rubber-band and a rubber glove to "cap" the throttle body.

Latest posts