Post here is your steering wheel is peeling!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George C

Reaction score
This is a follow up to Todd Z's message below. I'm trying to see how common the peeling steering wheel problem is. You can include me on this list and I'm not happy!

George

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine started peeling at about 30k. Bought a steering wheel cover and I finally replaced that about 3 months ago at 65k. The $10 rubber cover from Wal-Mart lasted longer than the $300 wheel that came with the vehicle...

'03 with same prob as Fast Eddie - Gray paint/dye wearing off supposed leather wrap

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2004 with less that 20,000 miles , I tried several times at ,( Ford Town of Albany, GA )

to get mine replaced ( & I do have the Ford extended warranty ), the service manager said that i must be driving my truck with dirty hands, I told him that, if my hands were dirty, that I wash them before I get in my truck to go anywhere. The steering wheel looked as if it was turning black where my hands come into contact with the wheel. I could clean the wheel & within 2 to 3 days it would turn black again. I told this to the service manager, he then said that the cleaner that I was using must be to harsh, I told him that I only use interior vehicle, cleaning wipes to clean with.

I also, told him that it sounded to me, as if he was just trying to get rid of me, and that he did not want to fool with me, ( hmm... maybe because I purchased the truck somewhere else ).

I got tired if trying to convince ( Ford Town of Albany, GA ) that my steering wheel was deteriorating and that I needed it replaced under my warranty. So I talked to Albany Lincoln Mercury and they replaced it without giving me any problems.

So, anybody out there around ( Albany, GA ), beware of taking any vehicle to,

( Ford Town of Albany ).:unsure:

Peeling since 37000 miles...now at 58000..just living with it!

Mines fading some but haven't noticed it peeling yet. May have to look into one of those covers.

('02) Just a tiny bit of weird wear marks. Probably get a cover to keep it from getting worse. Keep that resale value up as much as possible while waiting for Job2 '07.

Latest posts