powder Coating

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
I am thinking about powder coating my wheels gloss black (just the spoke part) and leave the rest of the rim chrome (the area where the valve stem is). What do you think.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an idea you might want to consider. They also have a lot of other interesting ideas on this site that will work on top of chrome.

Johnboy is right, you can't powder coat chrome. Once something is chrome, it's chrome...no doing anything else to it.

However, those wheels may not be chrome, chrome, in which case you might be able to get them done.

If you wanted to get it done, you'd have to have th wheels acid dipped to remove the coating that's there, then powder coated black, then "chrome", as there is powder coating avaible to make soemthing look like chrome.

All that stuff and a tee shirt too! I'd go with lumber's link! Might be cheaper even if you could powder coat. :cool:

Chad-

Traditional chrome is an expensive and time consuming process, involving dipping the peice several times before the desired chrome effect...this same effect can be replicated using plastics (like emblems and headlamps), or other coatings. The result is a chrome like lustre and apperance, without the high cost. Chrome, chrome is a very hard, and very durable finish, and highly reflective, while most alternative lack either hardness, durability, or refelctivity...typically they have a blueish tint in the light reflections, not sure why, but they do.

I agree with wayfonh. Those wheels look great and it would be foolish to powdercoat them.

However, chrome can easily be powdercoated. It simply involves masking off the area you wish to remain chrome and media blasting the chrome to take the gloss off and give the powdercoat a surface that it can get a tooth to bond to.

I do powdercoating and have powdercoated some small chrome parts and all I did was scuff up chrome with some 320 grit sandpaper. They even make a powdercoat paint that looks like black chrome.

...Rich

Chad,

U interested in selling those wheels and getting something you like better. Let me know because I am in the market for some 17 inch wheel for my trac.

Thanks,

Devin

Chad, if you are serious, those are awful (in a nice way) nice rims to powder coat

to a black. I would look into an aftermarket set similiar in design to those to have

done the way you want them. Your 'Trac is your business or preference, but there

may be easier, cheaper (more cost-effective) ways of doing this, than "trashing" those

rims (in my opinion) by sand-blasting, acid-etching , etc...Get with those on this

site to trade/sell , to buy off of you and see if they can help you any further. Many

good experienced opinions here. I wish I could make you a good cash offer (as they

are sweet rims) but my current financial situation does not allow me to do so. By the

way, do I detect a hint of slotted rotors in the pics!!! If so, What do you think of

them?