Power steering flush

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave King

Reaction score
Had the wife’s Focus at the dealer for a free oil change and tire rotation. They also gave the car a free inspection. The only thing they recommended was flushing the power steering system. They showed me a sample of the power steering fluid color and what color it should be. It wasn’t real bad but over half way down on their color chart. The car has 38k on it. They did the transmission flush at 32k and the cost was 89.00. They want almost as much for the power steering flush. What would make this cost so much? There cant be that much fluid in the power steering system. Could I just suck the reservoir dry and add new fluid a couple of times. Thanks for any help.

I have had a lot of cars with power steering and have diven hundreds of thousands of miles in them and I can honostly say I have never had to have the power steering flushed.

I have never had any problems with any power steering pumps, steering box or Rack & Pinion steering except for a leaking pump drive seal.

I'm sure there is no harm having the steering flushed and it may save the spool valves in the steering rack, but the price for the flush would have to be well below what they appeared to want to charge you. Heck there is a shop in town that advertises completer steering racks replaced for only $120 plus $49 in labor.

...Rich

Agree with Richard--but I do change the P/S fluid every so often. If you really want to get serious about fluids, I would change out the brake fluid every two-three years.

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

I agree that brake fluid should be changed every 2-3 year or with every brake job. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and will attract and absorbe moisture from the air. Once the moisture gets into the brake system it will settle to the lowest points inf the brake system (Water is heavier than brake fluid) which is the calipers and/or wheel cylinders and becomes highly corrosive to those brake components. Moisture in the brake system also reduces the boiling point of your brake fluid, and also generates steam that makes for a very spongy pedal.

None of those conditions exist in a vehicles power steering system. I agree that it is probably a good idea the change/flush the power steering fluid, I think 30K-35K miles is a bit to often, especially at the prices they want to charge him for the flush.

...Rich

I flush my power steering fluid every year. I suck the reservoir dry, fill it. Steer hard left, hard right, hard left, hard right, center. Suck the reservoir dry and refill it. Same as above, then I suck it dry then refill. I do it again next year. I have driven my vehicles hundreds of thousands of miles. I have never had a leak or a failing pump. Neither has my father and he changes his fluid every other year.

I know people that have never changed thier tranny fluid and have put well over 300,000 miles on it without a problem. That still doesn't mean changing the tranny fluid is a bad idea.

The same goes for the power steering system. Just because someone says they feel 35,000 miles is too often, doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. Like the guy that never changed his tranny fluid, maybe he was just lucky.

Tom

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of doing what Tom and Allen are doing. I will be picking up some power steering fluid and doing Tom's method. Thanks again guys.

Tom,

Manufacturers have always recommended changing transmission fluid on a periodic basis, however I have never owned any vehicle that stated that the power steering fluid needed to be changed or flushed, only that you needed to keep it filled. Of course, most don't say that you should flush the brake fluid either. :wacko:

Most power steering units require ATF or a fluid that is similarly formulated as ATF. I know that some vehicles like Honda's require special Honda Power Steering fluid which is available in most auto parts stores.

Power Steering fluid is not subject to the heat or friction clutch material that happens to ATF in an automatic transmission. So I question the need to change/flush the power steering fluid only 34K miles????

Also changing/flushing the power steering fluid does not guarantee you won't have a failure or of a seal leaking just as chaning your engine oil does not mean your engine will never fail or never leak. I suspect that the power steering pump drive seal leaked because it was on a Honda, and someone did not use the Honda recommended fluid. If you don't use Honda fluid it can/will damage the seals.

...Rich

Wow, never have changed or flushed power steering fluid on ANY vehicle I've ever owned. Put over 130,000 miles on several. Lucky? Guess I should be playing Powerball :)

If you read the "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" it says nothing about changing the tranny fluid, except for certain models of the tranny's. The 5R55E is not listed. It does say on motorhomes, such as my Dad's, to replace the brake fluid every two years.

The Trac's power steering system requires Mercon tranny fluid only.

You are right though, PS temperatures don't get as hot as tranny's do, but Ford still found it needs a power steering cooler to keep the temperatures low. The power steering fluid does get nasty and changes color as it gets older. I guess I prefer to be on the safe side. A trashed power steering pump while on vacation can ruin a good trip. If it goes out, there is no doubt in my mind it wasn't caused by me.

...and yes, I flush my brake system.

I know people that have never changed out thier tranny fluid either with the tranny outlasting the vehicle. According to the "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" the 5R55E should never be serviced. Who here changes thier tranny fluid? It isn't needed...according to Ford.

heck, if the axle is never submerged, the differention never needs services either, though I still service mine.

Tom

All I know is that when I changed my PS Mercon, it was black, and runny like water.

When something looks the complete opposite of what it should, I think it qualifies as changeable.

I think 35k is too soon and the dealer is just trying to make extra money off you. I drain the pump and refill it every third oil change or so. The local Valvoline Qwicky-Lube does a P/S flush for $39.99.

Tom,

I have only owned two Ford vehicles and both of them are Sport Trac's. Yes, you are right that the Sport Trac manuals say nothing about changing or flushing the tranny fluid. It only says to check it a 30K miles and change if needed. Al other vehicles that I have ever owned with automatic transmissions stated a specific mileage when the fluid should be changed. Even my 1997 Grand Prix with the sealed transmission stated that you only had to change the fluid every 100K miles. But I have never seen any vehicle manual require or recommend changing/flushing power steering fluid.

It matters not that the Fords use Mercon--V in their power steering. GM uses Dextron, and Chrysler uses ATF. My point is that they are all similar fluids operating in a different environment then the transmission and not subject to the heat, and the contamination with friction clutch material. The heat and contamination are the most critical items that require you to change the fluid in the transmission. They are not a factor in the power steering system.

If Itchy's fluid was so dark, then I would suspect that there is some very abnormal wear in the power steering unit and flushing the unit is not likely to solve the problem long term. I don't believe anyone needs to flush the power steering unit in 34K miles, but if anyone chooses to do it or have it done, then by all means do it if it makes you feel better.

...Rich

Latest posts