Power Steering problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Jolley

Reaction score
When I first got my STA I noticed the steering seemed a bit stiif, thought it must be a trait of this truck. Since then it seems to be getting worse, when sitting still if you turn the wheel slightly left or right the pump starts to hum.

Also now if your manuvering slowly at times the steering just seems to go out, as if there is no power assist at all.

Has anyone else experienced this on a Gen2?

One of two things.

The trac is somewhat known for a belt slack issue, but this is mostly at higher engine RPM's. Basically, the belt would begin to lift off the pulley of the power steering pump and the pump would lose performance.

Also, there is a TSB for a "shuddering" and a "squealing" pump. It is solved by replacing the pump with one from a 4-Door Explorer. It has a higher output than the Trac.

Also, many have stepped down to a serpentine belt that is I believe 1/2 inch shorter. This seems to solve many issues over-all. I would suggest you do that first as you may have a weak tensioner that is the root of all the issues and the shorter belt may help.

Have you checked fluid level? I believe the tsb that CJ is talking about only pertains to earlier models of the ST and also the Explorer

I will be taking it to the dealer next week to remedy the problem I was just wondering if it is isolated or a problem others have had. Thanks for all the responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coastiejoe

I can't seem to find a steering related tsb anywhere for a late model ST but I also can't access my Ford stuff right now either. AFAIK the tsb was only for earlier model ST's...

The new pump is for the older model tracs. I think 2002 and up have the new pump already. You may just be having issues with the pump / system.

I went through the TSB out of pocket, new pump, new steering cooler, and new check valve. Assuming the dealer actually did everything, I'd say my issues are 90% gone. I'm only able to verify the pump and cooler. I had installed a new belt, but think I'm going to try the slightly shorter belt to see if the other 10% go away.

You should check your steering fluid, and make sure that it is MERCON TRANSMISSION FLUID in there, not power steering fluid. I had a quick lube monkey add PS fluid, and that was when my pump really began to have issues. I changed out the fluid and that resolved the problem somewhat, but it just got worse after a while.