power steering pump swap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erv Metoxen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I remember someone saying that a certain year explorer has a exact fit steering pump

that will get rid of the hard to turn at idle and shudder.

Does anyone know the year?

I was also thinking if just the pully could be replaced with a smaller dia. to make the pump

spin faster at idle, thus pumping more fluid and making idle steering easier. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Erv

ERV

IT was a TSB to install a new higher pressure pump.... I think it was just a 4 door explorer pump...

As for the smaller pulley, I would not mess with that, because you could over rev the pump and it will lower the surface area the belt has to grab on to...

Todd Z

I would think that the high displacement pump would be the way to go.

You are very limited on pulley size. There are only a few choices that would still match the belt profile (width, grooves, etc.). Even if you could find a smaller pulley you would probably have a belt tension issue with the stock length belt.

Just my .02 worth.

If I can remember when I make it home again I will try to check the paperwork from when I had mine fixed under warranty last year based on the TSB. I dont think they actually replaced the pump but rather a couple other parts. Whatever they did it fixed the problem.

Todd is correct, the same year 4-Door Explorer is the pump that Ford installs for the TSB.

I had it done to my Trac and never got the slow speed steering shake after the swap..