Power Steering TSB

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig B

Reaction score
Hello! I recently purchased an '04 ST 2wd with 41,000 miles & a 4yr/48,000 extended warranty and had a couple of questions for you "guru's".

1. Is the Power Steering Shudder TSB covered by Ford or will I have to use the extended warranty ($100 deductable). I didn't notice the "shudder" until after I purchased the vehicle :angry:.

2. I don't know how to describe this one, but I've recently noticed a noise/vibration while braking. I can't really describe the sound via text, but it is like a low pitched rumble (wo wo wo wo...) that decreases in speed as the vehicle does. It mainly occurs when braking at low speeds (35 or under); like coming to a stop at a light. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to be coming from the passenger side front wheel/tire. Also with this...and it may or may not be related...but i get a minor shaking at 55-65 or so. I haven't really gone much faster than that. I'm guessing any or all of the following: warped rotor, worn bearing, bad tire, I got screwed at the dealer :unsure:, etc... I really like the ST and hope I didn't just get screwed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been searching through here for a couple of days and have really learned a lot about the ST. You guys rock!

Craig,

Welcome to the site..

The TSB is not something Ford has to do, But thats the repair action they can take. IT may or may not be covered under the extended, I had my 03 pump changed under the first 3/36.

For the noise, It sounds like a bearing, rotor or bad tire ...

Todd Z

A technical service bulletin (TSB) is not the same thing as a recall. It does not automatically guarantee warranty coverage. As far as the extended warranty covering the problem, it all depends on the warranty company and what level of coverage you have. There are warranties that will cover a master cylinder failing, but they expect you to pay for the reservoir (even though it's part of the cylinder!). I have had a personal experience with this one.

I do know that with Ford PremiumCare and all other Ford extended warranties, and probably other warranty companies as well, it depends on what part failed or caused the problem.

As for the vibration, it could be the tire needs balancing, the tire is bad, a bad bearing, warped rotor, or it could, and this is not really common, be a bad u-joint. I personally would start with the tire balance. It's relatively cheap, easy, and sometimes will tell you if the tire itself is bad.

One more thing. What tires do you have? On some Tracs, the Wrangler tires would feather out and make noise. That was TSB 05-11-11. "Some 2003-2005 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S, P255/70R16 109S AT OWL tire, may exhibit signs of feathering heel-toe wear on the inside or outside edges of the front tires. Tire noise may also be present during regular highway drive or when braking."

Hopefully, this will help.

I do have Goodyear Wrangler RT/S, P255/70R16. I don't know if they are replacements or from the factory, but they look too new for 40,000 miles. As far as the Power steering pump and the warranty, I purchased the 4yr/48,000 mile bumper to bumper. I'll check with the dealer to see if it's covered as I haven't received the paperwork from the warranty company yet. The problem is, I purchased the ST used from a Nissan dealer, so I don't think their service dept will get Ford TSB's, but I can take the ST to any ASE Certified mechanic for warranty work. I just have to pay the $100 deductable :( I really just want to know that the vehicle is safe to drive and that my wheel/tire is not going to fall off. Will not fixing the Power steering pump cause any long term problems/damage or is it just annoying?

Welcome to the site. The power steering is mostly anoying. You might also find it will be hard to steer in curves, under heavy acceleration. That can be helped by replacing the serpentinebelt with one that is 1/2" shorter.

The wo wo noise is probably the tires. The wrangler rts's tend to feather or cup on the inside edge when on the front.

You might have to bleed the air out of the power steering system. That is what they did to mine after replacing the pump and it still shuddered.

Thanx a lot for all the responses. I set up an appt with the "stealer" to have all this looked at. I guess I just wanted some peace of mind and to know that I didn't make a big mistake purchasing the ST. I really love it! :wub:

I have a list of TSB's in my library for the 01 and 02 Trac's, here is the link to the 02's.

The library is not working yet from the web site being down, so check back...