Problem....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My check engine light went on sunday and i took it in this morning and they said it was an EG valve...can anyone tell me what that does? I know its the Exhaust/Gas valve but what does it do? I have an extended warrenty on my truck is that covered on it? And lastly they called me and told me it was going to be about $300 with labor and such does that seem a little much? Thanks :D

EGR valve. And they are WAY over charging you. On my PDA so I can't do the search for you. Do a search with EGR and you will be very happy on how cheap this job is...

Wow, Coastie really wanted to get his point across.:lol:

Yes they are overcharging you. What the EGR valve does is recirculate the exaust back into the intake under heavy loads to reduce emissions by lowering the combustion temp in the cylinders. Thats it without the Chemistry lesson.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure Todd Z will let you know how, (since I haven't had the pleasure of changing mine out yet) but I'd say do it yourself and save the labor charge. I would also say it should be under warrenty if you aren't past it yet. Check your paperwork for your extended warrenty if you have one.;)

Sorry, didn't read your last post the whole way through. Check the warrenty you have. Mine isn't through Ford (It's through Fidelity) and the EGR is covered under it.;)

Stone, I am sensing a pattern here ..:)

On some vehicles ford extended the egr valve coverage....

The egr valve recycles the exhaust gas for better emissions...

It can be a pain to change if you have a lot of miles on the truck, but not that hard to do..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Todd, I just know that for some reason, if I'm trying to answer a tech question and you haven't posted yet, you will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong.:lol:

Justin, was the code thrown out by the CEL about a low flow sensed? It could be the DPFE sensor instead which ran me about $35 at NAPA and took less then 5 minutes to replace

Justin,

After you get your repairs done, take you workorder to the parts department and find out if any of them are covered by the manditory 8 yr/80K mile federal emission warranty. Each dealer's parts department has a list of covered parts that each manufacturer prepares for each model vehicle.

If any of the parts they replaced on covered under the Federal emmissions warranty, you should be reimbursed for the parts and labor for that part.

...Rich

Justin, if it was one of these codes:

c) P1400 - DPF EGR Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Detected

d) P1401 - DPF EGR Sensor Circuit High Voltage Detected

e) P0401 - EGR Flow Insufficient Detected

f) P0402 - EGR Flow Excessive Detected

You might want to start with the DPFE, you only need the EGR valve if your Trac is rough at idle, or has stalled when you accelerate, otherwise the DPFE replacement should take care of the problem.

And it's a cheaper DIY job.:D