Pulling an RV

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel Bell

Reaction score
I know my 2004 V6 ST is rated to pull 5000lbs, but really..... how much weight can the truck pull?

Would a 7000lb RV be a bit too much?

Thanks for all input, comments.:boohoo:

Way too much in my opinion. Across the street yes. Down the road, no way. I can pull mine, which is probably 5000 to 5500 loaded, but I wouldn't pull it more than a few miles. Just too much strain on the drivetrain. Oh, I have a 2007 V8.

Follow manufacturers recomendations, they are there for a reason. If you think there is a "built in cushion", it may only be 10%. As Brad above notes, he is at the safety limit for his truck! Not sure if you want to tread those waters. Bob

I have a trailer that weighs 3800lbs. You know it's there when you are towing. I've towed a 7000 lb boat short distances, and I would not want to tow if for long. That's just too much for the ST for a long pull, IMHO.

Pay attention to the unloaded weight,as the stuff you take with you adds up quick. If you go over 5500#, then the trailer starts getting way heavier than the truck. I tow a TT right at the limit of 5500# (4X2) and is plenty of weight. I have towed mine weighted down while moving my daughter from college, and I don't eant to do that again. The St had a hard time with that... A new ST w/ a V8 might be better for that heavier TT...

ive got a 27 ft camper i pulled on a 200 mile round trip with no problems i stopped at the scales and altogether with out 186 lbs me the total was 9280lbs. thats the farthest ive pulled that much weight to date.

9280 lbs total - ~4200 lbs for the ST = ~5080 trailer weight. That's about the max for the ST... :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I most certainly would NOT tow that much. Going a few hundred pounds over the recommended max is one thing but several thousand pounds over... that's just crazy man!:smack:

Last edited by a moderator: