Pulsating when turning left???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My steering wheel is pulsating when I turn to the left for some reason. Anybody know what this could be, or experienced the same thing? Got plent of PS fluid and I was wondering if there may be some air in the PS line. I guess I should also look at the Tie Rod.

It could be your CV joint or Axel I had a lowered civic and every other month I was replacing the axel. Does it just shake or do you hear a clicking sound too? If you have the clicking sound than it is prob. your CV joint.

No clicking just the pulsation in the wheel when turning and I forgot too mention its only when I'm stopped and turning, but not really as much when moving.

I'm not a mechanic but I once experienced the exact same problem after having the front brakes replaced on the '98 Ranger I used to have. It occurred right after I left the brake shop so I immediately went back. They took it back and supposedly bleed the breaks some more to release air that was still present in the brake lines. I'm not sure why air in the brake line might have caused the problem but when I got the truck back the problem was gone and I never experienced it again.

Could also be the Low Pressure Steering Pump...they have been replacing them with another model pump. They've talked about it before on this site...might have been a recall...not sure about that though!!

Sounds like the "steering shudder" issue...

There is a TSB on this, The dealer replaces the P/S pump with a different one to increase the pressure...

If the truck is out of warranty, you may find a shop that could install the new pump for you, But it is not a safety issue, just a low pressure issue...

It could be left alone....

I don't know what year your ST is, If it is an older one you may also want to try installing a new serp belt and tensioner....

Todd Z

Yeah, I've had this issue. It mostly happens on relatively smooth surfaces...wheel shudders when making extreme turns at the wheel when at a standstill. It got less severe after a while and I cannot duplicate it successfully so I really have no idea what the culprit is. Had the lines bled at a recent visit to the dealership, but some time after, I was at a parking lot and I got some heavy vibration. FYI, I have an 04 that was doing this from day 1. It happens so rarely that it's of low concern to me.

Don't know if the newer power steering has this, but I had a similar prob years ago. Was something called "butterfly valves" in the power steering. Not a mechanic so can't explain any more than that. Could be related to the power steering TSB mentioned by Todd.

Tracnblack here...TSB#031912...NHTSA Item#10007369.(2002-2005).

"Steering shudder or vibration felt when turning at low speed/engine r.p.m.,

or vehicle at a stop". I think the fix that I have read on other sites was to

replace the 'Trac p.s. pump with a higher-pressure Explorer p.s. pump assembly.

Let us know if this helps...

Latest posts