pure ethanol conversion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j Schmidty

Reaction score
So, maybe I'm crazy, but I had an idea. Two actually. Home brew pure ethanol using a still, and convert my trac to a pure ethanol running trac. This is really big in Brazil, and with gas hitting $3.25 I might just willing to try it. So... does anybody hav any info on these two ideas? Any input would be great.

Wondering how much it would cost to distill 1 gallon of ethanol.:unsure: Don't really know the procedure so I can't calculate the expense. All I have is basic knowledge of the distilling process, with heat and cooling involved.:(

My understanding is that it is not efficient to produce ethanol for fuel- more energy in to produce, than is yielded. The ethanol industry is subsidized. If it were free market ,they wouldn't survive. The primary reason for ethanol blends is to reduce pollution- not to save gasoline.

Even if you find an efficient way to produce ethanol, you need special permits to do it. Otherwise, the "revenuers" will come a-knockin' at your door and confiscate your still. Many in Kentucky (where I am originally from) have found this out first-hand as they produce "moonshine" which is basically an intermediate stage of producing ethanol. :blink:

Also keep in mind that with a still you are only going to be able to get 90% to 95% alcohol. Ethanol is hydroscopic; i.e., absorbs water even from the atmosphere, so you would never be able to keep it "dry" enough for motor fuel use. The process required to get 99.99% pure ethanol is much more complex than a simple still.

Another thought, why cant you buy ethenol from a Chemical company such as Farley Chemical. Check into that. If you can get the fuel for a buck or two a gallon, just drive to the gas station, fill up with 6 gallons od gas, then go home and fill it up the rest of the way with ethanol and you would have something like a 10 to 20 percent gas mix and you would be set since the ECU can compensate anywhere between pure gasoline and 85% Ethenol.

Something I was thinking about today.

Tom

You can make Ethanol from any bio product. Corn is a great material to use!! Even the stalks... But I think you need to speak with the ATF if you want to do this!!

Ethanol has trouble starting in cold weather. That is why it is used a lot in Brazil, and not in the North.

Latest posts