Question for the computer G's on here...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is a way to see if my DVD burner is set on High Priority. Sometimes it quits burning if another program is running. I have gone to the drive and clicked "properties" and there is no setting on there except "allow cd burning on this drive". Thanks.;)

Take a look at the link below on how to check if Ultra DMA is enabled on your dvd drives and computer. If it is not and you see PIO you definitely want to change it to Ultra DMA for best performance. You actually want to make the changes on the IDE controller and not the drive itself. It is a lot of typing so I found the link below to walk you through it. ;)

Post here again if you have any problems.

It is unusual for your drive to stop burning because of other programs. Usually those programs take priority over other applications. Are you using older software or an older burner? Maybe you can upgrade the firmware of the drive.

George

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's just me (or maybe not), I leave the computer alone when I'm burning something. I close all running programs before it starts, and go get a cup of coffee or something while it's busy. I get a lot fewer coasters that way.

Thanks guys. I'm going to check that George. I'm also going to try different DVD's. Been using Maxell's. Going to try some Sony's and see if it helps. Been thinking about it and it seems the problems started about the same time as when I switched to Maxell's. It's wierd. I used to be able to burn on any setting when doing DVD's (4x, 8x, 12x, 16x) Now it will only work on 4x. Sometimes it does fine, then when watching the DVD it acts like there is a scratch on the disc and locks up. Nothing there (scratches, etc.). The original plays fine. May be my burner. It gets used quite a bit. Oh, no problems what so ever with CD's. Burns with no problem on all speeds.

kefguy, I don't usually do anything else either now. I used to be able to look at the web, download music, etc., while burning with no problem. And all at the same time.

Yes Todd, thats a Medion. And I dont work from home.. just like to repair computers people get rid of. then I keep them until they burn out Running SETI

Stone. I put a shredder in the empty spot now.

And that is an old pic. there has been a few changes. along with 2 more laptops.