Question for those with Sirius or XM Satellite

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George C

Reaction score
I'm going to be getting Sirius shortly and will be geting the receiver that can move from car to car, or house. My quesiton is it is necessary to mount the antenna on the roof or will it still receive reception if it is inside somewhere? I don't know how sensitive they are and if anyone has tried this please let me know. Thanks.

George

Last edited by a moderator:
You can leave the antenna on the dash but it will cut out more frequently. Just changing directions will lose the signal for about 5-8 seconds.

I have had my sirius on my dash for the past year, but I will move it to the roof once I upgrade my headunit.

Also, make sure that it's mounted with the correct orientation (front of the little box toward the front of your vehicle). I allowed an IDIOT at the local stereo shop to install my XM the first time and he put the antenna on there sideways, the stupid thing never worked. This applies to XM, I don't know what the Sirius antenna looks like, but I suspect that it's got to go in a particular direction too, so make sure you get it right. ;)

why would way the antenna is facing have to do with it getting a signal? I mean if you make left and rights with your Trac is changes direction:huh:

George,

Maybe we can get 2 of them and get a discount from where your buying it??....

I have been considering this myself..

Todd Z

Frank,

I know that a CB antenna uses the roof as a ground plane and if you place the antenna in a different spot, it will affect the transmission and receive strengths in different directions...

Don't know if this applies here, but it just might...;)

Todd Z

Todd,

That sounds good. I don't know if they are difficult to install ourselves but if there are I know a stereo installer in Lynbrook that should be able to take care of us. I would probably get 1 receiver but have it installed in 2 vehicles.

George

i recently purchased the xm " roady " and i tried to do put the antenna on the dash by the regular antenna. no good, now i have it on the roof by the back drivers side window. it works very well there. also it depends if you have a wirless modulator or are using the cassette adapter. talking to different people the cassette adapter works better. the other thing to keep in mind is that you need to find the best frequency and set the frequency on the unit to coincide. i had to play with that for a few minutes to find the best reception.

my opinion, go with XM ! - OPIE AND ANTHONY !, forget howard , he is a washed up " has been ". hooo hooo hooo tell'em fred.

opie and anthony are knock offs.....

Stern rules and always will until he leaves for good. THere is no doubt about that, look at his ratings.....HUGE!

george, if you want to stop by and check out mine let me know.

hope everything is going well. thanks again for the cd. we have been busy with tyler !

gary s.

:D

I use to hate Stern. For some reason, I listened to him just to see what he was going to say next. Then I realized some where along the way that he is actually very intelligent.

He can be as smooth as 80 grit sand paper, I'll give you that. But you can not question his ratings.

Do you think Sirius would give him 500 Million dollars if he was not worth it?????

frank, you are 100% right about his ratings. personally i don't care for him anymore and in my opinion opie and anthony are much more entertaining. howard was great in the late 80's and 90's but i think now he is washed up with no special talent anymore.

just my 2 cents.

on the lighter side, we all have to admit that satellite radio is a great choice :)

O and A Party Rock!

Stern lost it before the last Pres. election when he swor ethe entire government was in a conspiracy to get him. Sirius offered him a ton of cash b/c they have to do what they think is best to try and attract Subs. In all honesty Sirius has equity issues so to know where they will be in the next few years is a bit up in the air (this includes XM to a lesser extent also), both a public companies so it is easy to check on. I have Sat radio and love it, but it isn't a full fledged medium yet. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in a few years they both merge to survive.

"I invented Sport Tracs, tell 'em Fred hoo hoo"

XM radio is very simple to install with the Roady 2 setup. I've had mine for over a year, and my daughter and I love it. Click on the purple wrench next to my name for directions and pictures of the install.

Latest posts