Question on towing & transmision

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking increased wear on the clutch and pressure plate on the manual, due to the

fact that you are trying to put a heavier load in motion with the same transmission from a

dead stop (more slip). As far as the trans cooler for a manual, I've not heard of one yet.

Might want to increase the frequency of your gearbox/trans maintenance (fluid changes

lubrication, etc...).

I've got about 15000 mile of towing a 5000 travel trailer behind my 02 w/o any issue.. just flush and change the fluid before each season. your ST has a cooler, although it could be bigger in my case. boats are easier to to because of the aero front end of the boat. tow w/ the OD off, and let the thing cool if you go up a long hill for a while or otherwise put a heavy load on it..

of couse, after reading your post again, I could infer that you have a manual tranny. you know then that your rating is much less. i had an 87 aerostar that had a 5 spd manual, towed a pop-up w/o issue, although the gear spacing left a lot to be desired.had to wind it out in 1st before grabbing second... manuals do not have coolers, and due to the less internal friction by way of it's design, i wouldn't think there would be an issue. i would again flush and change out the fluid. your clutch could be the weak link, tho.... in fact, i'd worry about that before the trans itself.... good luck,,,, JMHO

Manuals are pretty strong, simple transmissions. With a LOT of heavy towing use, the clutch will have a shorter life, which means instead of getting 80 to 100K out of a clutch you'd get maybe 50,000 out of it. Manual transmissions are not as sensitive to heat as automatics are - they generate a lot less heat due to the fact that they aren't as complex. They don't make manual transmission coolers because it's just not an issue.

To extend the life of any manual transmission, switch to synthetic fluid of whatever kind your vehicle takes.

--Bob

The manual does not have a cooler.

Install better fluid and you will be fine....

Todd Z

Rodger, THE manual tranny does not have any pumps, cooling lines or any thing on it from the factory.

YOU can add a manual cooler kit for it, but that is involved and close to $500 bucks because you need pumps, coolers, lines, electrical and all sorts of stuff...

I don't think you need any thing extra at all.... Just tow the trailer, you will be fine..

Todd Z