Questions about Upgrades

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Otwell

Reaction score
I have been a member since 03 but this is my first post. I have an 05 Adrenlin 2WD and now that the warranty is up, I am ready to do some upgrades. I have read post about several upgrades members have made including:

Air Intake - K&N or MAC

Exhaust: Gibson or ?

From what I have read I should use the XCAL 2 but should I change the Air Intake & Exhaust first?

I am going to order the sway bar from EE Express but what kind of shocks should I buy?

What difference should I see buy changing the rotors from OEM to something else and what rotors should I buy?

I just wanted to see what some members think before I jump off in the deep end of the pool.:cool:

I wouldnt beleive there would be much difference between the MAC intake and the K&N.

Exhaust, many of us, including me had custom exhaust using a flowmaster 40 series, sounds great, and looks good with the single in, dual out.

Yes, you want the engine mods before you get the XCal2 preferably. I beleive wayne can code it for prior to mods and after mods... you would have to talk to him about that.

Shocks, I did Monroe Reflex, they are on sale right now I seen for almost 1/2 price in Canada here... not sure about where you are at.

Rotors, I dont beleive there is much difference in these unless you go to a slotted/cross drilled, and ceramic pads. However the slotted, drilled rotors will eat up your pads sooner.

Hope this helps! (Most of from first hand experience)

Save your money and make your own K&N filter mount. I would then buy the "Y" pipe and get a flowmaster series 40 muffler installed. My exhaust is shortened and exits in front of the right rear wheel.

And then you should purchase my 3 stage chip I am selling:D

It's the opinion of several that one air intake is about as good as any other for this application, so you might want to consider something cheaper (some of the cheaper ones actually look alittle better IMO).

I followed the crowd and did Flowmaster 40, single in, dual out. I absolutely love the sound. Not to much, but sounds really strong in the midrange RPM's.

You might want to check with Wayne on the order to do things....I think I kinda did it backwards from the preferred. But actually, your computer should relearn alot of minor mods, but if you do too many at once, it would probably be best to have a tu7ne for the end product.

Good luck with everthing and have fun modding it....it's really hard to stop once you start.[Broken External Image]:

1st Mod X-charger Supercharger by E.E.

Magnaflow exhaust

X-cal 1 tuning

2nd Mod E.E. rear Swaybar

Monroe Reflex Shocks

Michellin LT4 Tires

Upgraded to X-cal 2

Very happy with the mods so far. Feels like a new ride

Last edited by a moderator:
AUTigerTrac...you should check out the Atlanta Meet-N-Greet on 8/19. You can probably see some of this stuff 'in action' there. There was a rumor that Wayne might even be there (never heard whether he is for sure) and he might be able to offer some guidance on what is best to do before an xCal.

Regarding the air intake, I've got the cheap on from eBay. Check out the projects section for details.

Search the forum for details.

It's all a matter of personal preference and how much you want to spend. Just realize anything should be an improvement over oem stuff.

Latest posts