Questions for ST Engineers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lukus

Reaction score
I am not able to make this years tour of the Louisville plant so will someone ask the following questions or coments and post the answers !!

1 Why are day time running lights not a option for non fleet/ Canadan St's

2 Why was the storage behind the rear seats eliminated

3 Why not utilize the entire tailgate when you design the cargo cage ( square it off )

4 Install the same convex mirror as the Freestar , in the overhead consol

5 Take the gear shift off the floor and give me more space for STUFF !

6 Why did you put the gas fill on the passenger side

7 CHROME BUMPERS like a real truck !!

THANKS !!!!

I will not be able to make it to Louisville this year, but would love learn more about the ST. Here are some questions out there that could be brought up at the Q&A with Ford and then answers posted back on the site?

1) Relative to the 1st gen ST, how robust is the suspension in its ability to handle off-road use (abuse) and/or heavy loads in the bed?

2) Is there a major facelift for the Explorer and ST planned for any particular model year?

Yes, I would consider it a major facelift. But they usually have a long term plan for major cosmetic facelifts and i'm curious when the next is planned. The Explorer is going on its second year, so I would expect something in the next couple of years. Interested if anything planned for earlier than that.

Also, agree with the point about the gear shift. I much prefer the look of it on the center console but I will miss the storage space. Perfect opportunity to make a functional leap. Is a gear shift lever in the traditional sense really necessary?

Do storage bins really have to be in the bottom of the bed (under anything you might be carrying). Why not use the sides (space between bedwall and outside)? Kind of like utility trucks, but in a more stylish form.

I see the Edge has not only heated seats, but cooled seats. I'd pay for that. That's better than heated seats. In cold weather, the seats eventually heat up. In hot weather, they seem to stay hot and uncomfortable. Airplane I used to fly had cooled seats, it was way cool! Nothing like AC air blowing up through the seat. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
1 Why are day time running lights not a option for non fleet/ Canadan St's

I am not sure of the question, but Canada requires DRL's and the USA doesn't. If you wan't DRL's, I am sure you can buy a kit from the dealer to install them. Frankly, I don't want them.

2 Why was the storage behind the rear seats eliminated

My bet is cost cutting measures.

3 Why not utilize the entire tailgate when you design the cargo cage ( square it off )

How does it fit in the bed? Would a squared off extender fit in the bed. I couldn't tell you.

4 Install the same convex mirror as the Freestar , in the overhead consol

Same reason as number two...I would guess.

5 Take the gear shift off the floor and give me more space for STUFF !

It is supposed to make it more "car like" I guess. I prefer colum shifting myself.

6 Why did you put the gas fill on the passenger side

It happens to be on the same side as the fuel tank is located. Since the fuel tank is located on that side, that is the only place to put the filler. It also discourages those the start the pump and climb back inside in the winter to stay waarm. It can cause a fire at the pump.

7 CHROME BUMPERS like a real truck !!

The Trac is not a truck, it is a SUV. Trucks don't have IRS's either.

Tom

I suspect the bed extender has the more rounded corners that it has instead of 90 deg (square) corners is for added strength. A more square joint of tubular, polished aluminum (I think that's what it's made of) wouldn't be as strong, IMHO.

I am guessing.

I too would like to see REAL, STRONG bumpers on trucks, but I have given up on that. Even when they are there these days, they are way too weak and seem to always get bent. A bumper really just decoration you can't use it like a push bar...(again, IMHO).

TJR

#8 Why is there no LS option?

I would be willing to bet because of the Traction and stability control on the Trac is why there is not Limited Slip option. Since a LSD might interfere with the brakes on the stability control, plus being that the traction control is standard, there is no need for a limited slip rear end.

Tom

That's what I was thinking, and that the traction control kind of electronically forces the diff to act like a LS rear. I was hoping to hear the official/technical response from Ford... Also, I would think that it would interfear w/ RSC in a cornering situation... :wacko:

That's what I was thinking, and that the traction control kind of electronically forces the diff to act like a LS rear.

To an extent. When it actually does is when it senses tire slipping using the ABS sensors, it applies braking force to that wheel to cause the wheel that has traction to grab.

Also, I would think that it would interfear w/ RSC in a cornering situation...

I would have to agree.

I wish those safety features were options. I sure hate being told what options I have to get. Last time I checked, I earned my paycheck by working for it. I should be the one to decide what I want on my vehicle.

Tom

I'd ask them:

1. Why not a manual transmission option?

2. Can they bring back solid rear axle?

3. How about some better tires?

4. How about an "off-road" package?

5. How about a "sports/touring" package?

6. How about a locking rear axle?

7. Why no differential transfer case with locking option?

6. Why no MP3/walkman/etc. input on all radio options?

7. Why no power-locking tailgate?

8. Why no underhood light?

9. Why no heated windshield washers?

10. Why no heated rear window or side mirrors?

11. How about stronger air conditioning at idle during high humidity conditions?

12. How about day-time running lights?

13. How about cooled seats?

14. How about a telescoping steering column?

15. How about more interior color or style choices (carbon-fiber or stainless steel trim options)?

Gavin,

14. How about a telescoping steering column?

Why have a telescoping column if the seat and pedals already move? You only need two of the three to move.

Why no differential transfer case with locking option?

It does

How about some better tires?

They're putting Michelins on. That's not bad.

How about stronger air conditioning at idle during high humidity conditions?

They did improve the performance and reduce the noise

How about a locking rear axle?

It effectively does the same thing.

How about cooled seats?

Agree, I'd trade heated seats for that.

Why no heated windshield washers?

They heated the windshield. Same result.

How about an "off-road" package?

Sign me up, I'd get it.

Wouldnt the obvious answers to all these questions be: TO MAKE MORE MONEY ;)

If the vehicles had everything on the market on every vehicle, there would be no reason to buy the next years model, or the next few years models.

All that will probably come, year by year ;)

JMHO

It would be great if some one could find out what's causing the leak in the roof of my 2007 ST. The service dept at my dealer are at a loss, it's not the moonroof and it's not the sirius satelite radio antenna. The service dept said they have called the engineering dept and are waiting for a call back from them. I'd laugh if this was actually discussed during the Q & A tomorrow with the engineers.