Radar & Laser Countermeasure Systems: Unit Placement?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
I'm researching some radar and laser countermeasures for my car and my wife's. We almost never get pulled over because well...we don't speed very often.

Once in awhile, I really want to go WOT and get up to the 60mph in 4.6 sec :) I don't simply because I don't want to get nailed for aggressive acceleration even though I technically am not exceeding the speed limit. I've been pulled over when I was a teen for that. I didn't get a ticket that time.

So, I'd just like to know if police are around without a police scanner.

I would like to get myself and my wife the same setup.

This is what I've decided on for equipment (all legal in NYS):

Valentine V1 3.892, Laser Interceptor 8.8 Triple Diode Jammer System, RadarActive iPhone app with V1 concealed display built into the app.

My question:

What are the best locations for mounting all this stuff?

I've marked the locations I think are best. The red dot is the location of the diode bubble.

[Broken External Image]:

Where do mount the V1? This is a little more difficult on this vehicle because of the overhead console. I'd like to mount the unit really high and to the left of the rear veiw mirror for best 360 detection. However, with this console it pushes the unit really close to the driver and I fear the rear facing detection is diminished with the V1 because of this. I really would rather not mount it below the mirror simply because everyone can see it and it's sort of in the way.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont use the console door above the mirror. What about moding the door to mount the unit?

As far as the front. Can the detectors be mounted behind the grill?

Mine doesn't have the console door as it has a sunroof and the controls are on that location.

I think the V1 is to big to put between the console and the mirror but I don't know as I don't have it.

imo, don't waste your money.

if you are going to speed, there are other means to be ticketed and new radar is very effective.

" I really want to go WOT and get up to the 60mph in 4.6 sec :) ".

is that what yours is running?

It's running 4.6 sec 0-60 via gps with 45-55 degree days. It runs 4.9 sec as longest time in 65-75 degree days via gps. Exact same systems used on the iTSX, in fact, it's the same UI exactly.

I have a Cobra radar detector and it was mounted to the windshield, but it got annoying. I mounted it with velcrow to the steering column. Sounds like an odd area, but it seems to be in a good hiding spot and I don't have to take my eyes off of the gauges or of what is right in front of me. Can also reach to turn it on and everything else. Also along with the power cord to the ac/dc its not in my field of view.

It is just an idea on where to mount the item.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my old Sport Trac's, I mounted my Cobra Radar/Laser detectors on the top of the rearview mirror with Velcro, and tucked the power line under the head liner and connected the wires to the power line for the LCD Temp/compass in the overhead console.

My MB and Toyota have a blacked out section of windshield above the mirror and that would block the laser signals (not the radar). So I use a regular windshield mount in the Mercedes. In my Toyota, I Velcro'd the detector to the left corner of the dash near the "A" pillar. That's where my state registration and inspection stickers are located and I have the lens of the laser detector peeking out to pick up any laser signals. The inspection/registration stickers hide the detector very well.

I have been thinking of getting a remote detector. There is a company in Dallas that sells and installs these remote units. The detector is usually mounting behind the grille and they install some LED lights in the instrument panel with an alarm beaper, and a volume switch.

The big problem is that they want about $1500 for one of these units installed. Their website shows these units installed in a Ferrari, Porche, Mercedes, etc...All high end cars.

....Rich

I'd have wondered the same question as Gary.

I'm also intrigued if the iTSX has the same exact system. I realize time and distance is a gps function, but would have thought that on a 0-60 calc wouldn't measure that.

If you run across indepth tech info on the iTSX, I'd be interested to read it. The online product info I found didn't get into that device that deep.

My son has had the Valentine One for a year and is very happy with it. I don't think I'd spend the money for a jammer though.

Interesting food for thought in this thread...

"Gtech pro and a stop watch...why?"

these devices and mobil apps are not accurate. they may be close but not a definite true reading.

just my opin.

Car & Driver tested radar jammers a few years ago and found that they were minimally effective at best. Also a jammer will set off your own radar detector.

I have a Valentine 1 and attach it to the dash to the left of the anti-theft light with a pair of heavy-duty velcro strips. Lower profile than being on the windshield and it works fine there for front and rear both.

I've never heard of a laser jammed setting of a radar detector. I specifically researched these two products and their interface together. The V1 and the Laser Interceptors actually connect to each other sonthere is no chance they can set each other off. They will also share each other's speaker systems. Laser jammers usually come in a dual head package and 9 times out of 10, that isn't enough to cover your front end. Especially on a truck. Ideally, I'd need four of them to cover both sides of the lic plate, that would cover the plate and the fog lights. Then two more right under the head lights. Not much is getting through that. I'm going to try a pair in the grill nearest the headlights and one over the lic plate for now. I'll get it tested and see if I need a fourth head.

These jammers really only buy you about 5 seconds. A little more with a diffuser coating like Veil on the head and fog lights.

Of course, there are limitations to all this technology and I don't speed on a regular basis and I won't speed on a regular basis. It's more of of a peace of mind purchase.

Not only that, I'm not buying new. I don't think their new cost return on investment is very good.

Latest posts