Radiator and Tranny cooler question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy G

Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea of getting a heavy duty radiator for my Trac. First, I hate plastic sided radiators. I play out in the desert too much, along with many rock hunting trips per summer in places 100s of miles away from civilization; and I have seen them crack too often. My Durango lost a plastic side on a radiator last summer and I ended up walking several hours before finally finding a ride out. I no longer own a Dodge. But my Trac has the same weakness.....

Second, single core radiators just simply scare me......

Have any of you replaced your radiator with an aftermarket job? I was thinking about a 2 or 3 core unit, all metal. Beating the $h!t out of my Trac on rocky, hostile desert roads (even going "roadless" places) is something that is just going to happen. I want metal.....Unfortunately the only place I can even get a lead on one is jcwhitney.com (?!danger?!?danger!?).

Second, I noticed tranny coolant lines going into my radiator...then back out and then into a seperate tranny cooler.....I find this a bit odd... is this stock or did the former owner add the external cooler?

I was going to add my own external cooler, but if this is a factory unit, is it sufficiant? Should I drop the cash on something I know is good?

So, to make a short story long, I am gearing up for 110 degre summer days in the middle of no-where..any direction on a good 2 or 3 core unit would be great, as well as a line on my tranny cooler.

cheers,

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, Try Summit racing. They have an online store and I know they have some good ones made by Flex-a-lite and others.;)

Ok, the 2-3 core rad is a great idea, But I have run the super 1 cores with better luck in my mustangs. The positive to a 2-3 core is if 1 tube gets a hole you can easily fix without hurting flow..

The trans cooling setup is a Factory install.. The extra cooler IS NOT sufficient to run by itself.

IF you upgrade the rad and do not use an internal cooler, Get a much larger single cooler, I allways ran a 15,ooo to 20,000 rated cooler and never had an issue.

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd, even if the single core is sufficiant (which, ok, it probably is...but it still scares me) what about the durability of the plastic tanks under some high temps, vibration and abuse?

I don't want to drop the cash for something heavier, but I don't want to walk out of the desert again either......

Has anyone ever had the factory radiator leak, spill, or had a tank crack?

If not...maybe it's a better part than my former Dodge POS......

But if problems like these are even remotely common, I don't want to chance it.

Good to know abot the tranny cooler.......looks like I need to replace some of the lines......they don't look so hot...

cheers,

Andy

What I have had over time is the plastic tank to the aluminum seal go. Never lost the plastic yet. I would say get an all metal one if your going to put it through some abuse and hotter than normal temps...

Any good radiator shop should be able to make or get you one, unless they make them for the explorer and you can retrofit..

Todd Z