Radio Bezel Mod. HELP!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Easley

Reaction score
Hello!

My name is J.B. and I am new to this site, but not so new to sport tracs! I have a 2003 XLT Trac that I have gotten from my father and have a lot of memories growing up in it and now that it is mine I have been trying to spruce it up if you will haha.

One of the mods that I have taken on is swapping out the radio bezel with a 2nd gen explorer bezel in order to get a second fog light switch. I wish to hook up my off-road lights to this second switch (Westin 09-0505 Lights), but I am kinda at a loss for what wires go where and which ones to splice into. Here is where I am at now, but I could really use some help clearing this up. This is the link I'm trying to follow, but cant... http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/SecondFogSwitch/SecondFogSwitch.htm

So on the switch the connecter there are...

Tan/Orange Wire - Fog lamps, On, Indicator

Red/Black Wire -Instrument Illumination +

Black Wire - Ground

Blue/Black Wire - Fog Lamp Switch, to Front Fog Lamp Relay

Alright so I have these four wires and I need to attach them to 3 wires... So do I have a dead wire? Or is there somewhere that all these wires go too?

So on the off-road lights themselves, comes with a relay which all are connected too, there are...

Red Wire - Connects to positive red wires on fog lights

Black Wire - Ground

Blue Wire w/ Fuse - Connects to + terminal on battery

Blue Wire - Power for switch (if I was using the supplied rocker switch)

Can someone who has done this before help me connect the two sets of wires? I'm a little confused as what goes where, except for the ground Kinda straight forward haha. Also, am I spicing into the the other switches wires as well?

dfd3b0895d1379d434e17ba0915af5d0.jpg

Thanks for any and all help, glad to be here and start getting to know you guys and gals!

J.B.

:driving:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about to take this on myself. I've had the lights longer than I've had the Trac. I've had the Westin brush guard for 8 months now and still haven't gotten the lights mounted. Hoping to do them in the next couple weeks.

I would get in touch with Jerry if you can.

When I installed the bezel swap I didn't slice the wires because I removed the Yakima MegaWarrior that had the offroad lights and sold it to a EF member down in Alabama for $350 shipped so I didn't need to worry about wiring in the switch just yet.

I still need to look at the wiring diagram Steve M sent me and figure out how to splice everything in for when I mount my other set of lights up.

I can send you the email he sent me if you guys want.

:eek:nline::banana::haveabeer:

Emails sent

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, forgot about that.

I would like that email. Thanks.

Wow Thanks!

So I couldn't make much sense of the wiring diagram so I stopped into my local ford service center and they helped me figure it all out so now I can get to work on putting it all together!

I should be able to get it all wired, would you guys like to see pictures of the process? If so how do I post pics?

JB,

I'm not sure about your switch wiring question, but Gen1 Explorers had another switch on the bezel for the rear wiper. If you can locate a bezel from an Explorer that had both fog lights and rear wiper...that would fit perfectly. That should make it easy to install the second switch to control your off-road lights.

....Rich

Latest posts