radio upgrade info

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Baker

Reaction score
I have a 2009 limited trac fully loaded but did not get the touch screen nav system and I am now regreting it..

My question is that I am looking to upgrade from my 6 disc system to a touch screen nav system. my questions are

1 I do not want to loose my sync system Ipod usb or my blue tooth connection to my phone or my steering wheel controls is this possible.

2 do i need to stick with a ford system or can i go aftermarket and still keep sync.

3 if i go factory ford what do i need just the head unit or other parts.

4 how much and were to buy.

5 do i need to get anything programed like the gps system

6 can any stereo shop install the unit without voiding the warranty

I am looking for as much help as possible i really have no idea what i am getting into or what it should cost....

Thanks

Baker

Alright so as a Mobile installer i will tell you this....they Ford Sync system virtual eliminates any possibility to change to an aftermarket stereo.:angry: If you can live without sync..... which i think is a pretty cool system....... you can go aftermarket

Back to the line output converters to hook up your sound systems.

I just ran into this with a customer of mine in his Mustang convertible. He didn't have the Sync system, but he did want to upgrade to the navigation. The way the factory radios are set up now, the computer would need to be reflashed with data from an identical truck that has navigation to add it to your truck to use an OEM unit. Also, make sure that the GPS antenna is not put under anything metal or it won't get a signal. OEM navigation radio kits are usually in the $2000-$3000 range. At least, that's how much it was with the last one I ordered.

It is very possible to add the OE NAV to your truck. You just ned teh components and after it is all done everything needs to be configured for the vehicle. You can do it with the Ford IDS scan tool but most dealerships seem to be lost as how to go about doing it so they just tell you ta it can't be done....it can

That's what happened with the guy that bought one from me. He took it to another dealer where he lives and they gave him fits about getting it programmed. We ended up looking up data for one like his that had the navigation system originally and he had that flashed to his car. He then messed up the CD changer in it somehow. We're not sure if the installer messed it up or what. He claims to have only professionally made CD's in it, but it's jammed.

This site claims you can upgrade radio after market and keep Sync for $175.00.

Ran across this looking for a bluetooth car kit. May be worth looking into.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/home.php?cat=78