ran it on dry pavement in 4wd

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M 4

Reaction score
Message title says it all. I drove it into work this morning in 4wd. My Bad. There was some snow and ice on the local roads, but the highway was dry. I drove about 20 miles before I noticed the FWD was on. What to do? 4WD still engages and dis engages, runs ok but I think (hard to tell) that there is a noise comming from the front when in 4WD, like new pads on new rotors. Darn, I hate it when that happens. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated, I still have to break it to the significant other. Thats the worst part.

Black Tuesday..............................

It will be fine. On the highway you were not doing any sharp turns so I highly doubt there was any damage. If you are driving straight all your tires are rotating at the same speed.

I did the opposite the other day, I had driven into a field with 6-10 inches of snow. It was a slight downhill all the way in. On the way our I kept loosing traction and would have to back up and take another run at it. I was getting pretty nervous but I made it back to the road. Once on the road I went to switch it out of 4x4 and realized I hadn't even put it in 4x4 to begin with. No wonder my back end kept trying to slide out while I was going up the hill. :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Olaf. I will drive in 4x4 when there is snow on the road when I drive home at night. I don't take it out when there are dry patches. No problems here. I don't make a habit of leaving it in when the road is dry, but unless you were doing some heavy cornering on the Highway, you'll be fine. You are probably hearing something that was always there because you are worried you may have done something to it.;)

i drove a 600km trip in 4x4 at highway speeds every week for about 4 month in the snow and mine is fine

Last edited by a moderator:
will be fine...

ALL 4x4 make slight noise when engauged...

Todd Z

Thanks guys. You know I posted the other day about turning over 100 K. I don't typically knock on wood or stick voo doo dolls with pins, except around review time, but I went ahead and posted. This truck has been an exceptionally good vehicle and I truely expect to get 200 k out of it. I have no unreasonable expectations about repairs and the cost of driving it. It would really PMO if I killed it or damaged it through my own negligance. Yea, I freaked. I did not notice any binding, unusual driving characteristics or anything that seemed out of the ordinary. Just moved the selector to 2wd. Runs fine. Just to be on the safe side, I think I'll change the xfer case and the rear dif fluid. At this point, I may have another beer and not tell the significant other.

Black Tuesday................

If she drives it too she's probably done a lot worse and never told you so now you're even. ;):D

Was glad to have the 4WD this AM with a few inches of icy snow on the road, but found myself switching in and out of 4WD-Hi and 2WD a lot because of the mix. Local roads and intersections were well served by 4WD, especially on take-off (OEM Crapyears SUCK), but then after you pull out you hit lots of dry spots. Luckily you can change on the fly.

The wife's AWD Mountaineer is better for those types of road conditions. One less then to worry about.

TJR

Right after I got ST I put i intto 4WDLOW and didn't know how to get it out (reading manual for hour would have solved problem as it wasn't addressed in index) so I drove back to town slowly and stopped at dealer. No big deal he said. Showed me how to get it out of 4WDLow.

Felt like an idiot.

Latest posts