RANGER to retire?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieMRegalOne05 Legaspi

Reaction score
The following is an article from AutoWeek. The Sport Trac was mentioned towards the end.

Quite a long reading.

Retire the Ranger?

Ford weighs options as small truck segment sags

By RICHARD TRUETT | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Updated: 06/04/07, 8:28 am et

The clock is ticking on Ford Motor Co.'s ancient Ranger compact pickup, the plant where it is built and maybe the entire compact pickup segment.

Next year, Ford will close the St. Paul, Minn., plant where the Ranger is assembled. Soon the automaker must decide whether to schedule a Ranger replacement or bail out of the segment.

It will be a tough call. Last year Ford sold only 92,420 Rangers, down 59.1 percent since 2002. Yet Ford will be reluctant to abandon a segment that attracts first-time buyers to the brand.

Ford's competitors will face similar decisions. Industrywide, U.S. sales of compact pickups have dwindled from about 800,000 units in 2002 to about 611,000 last year. So far this year, segment sales are down 10.1 percent.

Not even higher fuel prices or new products such as the Honda Ridgeline, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon have been able to rekindle demand.

Only one small pickup - the Toyota Tacoma - has bucked the trend. In 2005, Toyota redesigned the Tacoma for the first time in a decade. Last year Tacoma sales totaled 178,351, up 16.6 percent since 2004.

Pricing issue

Contractors don't buy small trucks because they can't haul heavy loads, says Jeff Schuster, an analyst with J.D. Power and Associates. Likewise, retail customers often upgrade to full-sized trucks because the price bump is marginal.

For instance, the Colorado and Canyon have been criticized for not having enough power. The cost to upgrade from one of them to a full-sized pickup with a bigger engine - such as the Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra - can be less than $2,000.

And the relatively good fuel economy of small pickups isn't as important as it used to be, despite rising gasoline prices. "Fuel prices really haven't changed demand for the vehicle," said Buzz Morgan, new-car sales director at Helfman Ford in Houston.

In May the dealership sold only nine Rangers, negligible volume for a store that sells 130 new cars and trucks a month. And five of those Rangers went to fleet buyers so only four consumers bought the pickup.

Many shoppers reject the Ranger because the larger F series carries an attractive price, Morgan said. "A nicely equipped Ranger is almost as much as a regular cab F-150," he said.

Propped up by CAFE

Automakers have relied on small trucks to help meet corporate average fuel economy standards. To improve their overall fuel economy, automakers often have priced small pickups at rock-bottom prices.

But those days are winding down. New rules that begin being phased in this year enable automakers to calculate fuel economy one of two ways.

For the 2008 through 2010 model years, they still can use a fleet average. Or they can meet different fuel economy targets for trucks of different sizes, measured by the vehicle's "footprint," the area bounded by the four wheels. The size-based method becomes mandatory in 2011.

Ford won't comment on the Ranger's future, and neither will suppliers. Ford dealers are in the dark about Ford's plans.

Kevin Collins, chairman of Ford's dealer council, said Ford has not told dealers when or whether the Ranger will be replaced. But he said he thinks Ford needs to stay in the segment with a vehicle priced below the F-150.

"There is a need for a vehicle near the Ranger segment," Collins said. "I am not sure anyone has figured out yet what that thing should be. If you look at the Dodge Dakota, which is a step up in size from the Ranger, they've had some bumps in the road with that."

Unpleasant choices

Analysts with know

I heard that a replacment is coming with the badge f-100 based off the current sport trac with a solid axle verses the Independent suspension that the Trac has...... I think it would be a perfect fit for those wanting somthing bigger than the current Ranger and the availability of a V8 and not wanting somthing as large as the F-150....

So if they going to be changing the badge back to the F-100. Not really much of a replacement, since the ranger used to be called the F-100 Ranger back in the late 70's early 80's. Some upgrades the the ranger would be nicely put. As if they could make a true 4-door sold in USA.

Surprised there was no mention of the ST in the article. Seems to be the logical replacement of the Ranger. Especially since it gets about the same mpg (with 6cyl). I know I went from the Ranger (actually the Mazda B3000) to the ST.

REDESIGN and make it in a diesel. Then the other manufacturers would scream!!

Diesel would kick ass!:D

I want to see a real bold move...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom T, 4th paragraph from the bottom did:

Collins, the Ford dealer council chairman, said he would like to see the Ranger replaced by a vehicle that can haul a larger payload - without a price increase. He said that a version of the Ford Sport Trac SUV could meet those criteria, and that Ford could move quickly if it adapts a vehicle already in production.

I doubt they would get rid of the Ranger in lieu of F-100 name. See: Taurus coming back because if its legacy nameplate. Diesel is not an option with emmissions as of yet. The first would be the the 4.4L CGI block for the F series/Expedition. Then a small 4 cylinder could follow, maybe as soon as 2012. Pure speculation on my part...

How about a ST Ranger edition? Super cab/long bed or 4 door longer bed than current ST. V8 only. Go head to head with Tacoma, Dakota for minimal investment as its built along the ST?

I see a market opportunity for a small two-seat pickup-- like a small, sporty car with a bed for light hauling (perfect for homoaners running to Home Depot on the weekend, etc.) Make a few different trim levels (very stripped entry level; nicely-equipped vehicle, and a sporty/big engine/AWD version).

Ranger tries so hard to fill the truck needs of consumers, but falls short, especially with F-150 so available so cheap.

I hope they don't redesign (cheapen) the Trac to take the ranger's place.

I've learned that the 95 Ranger I got rid of prior to my Trac, is still 180K miles strong even though it has supposedly been neglected by its new owner.

I still see plenty of new Rangers around with the oversized blue-oval on the tailgate, so I think they're still selling. Lots of new Frontiers and Tacos around too so the market is still there. I don't think a small pick-up would do well, but something close to a mid-size might. Something based off of the current Explorer/Sport Trac could work, with V8 of course!

Typical corporate thinking. Still have the same body style after 14 years and they can not figure why the sales have slumped.

A good redesign, something that could have been done side by side with the Sport Trac and Ford would have had a grand slam home run. Now add a 292 HP V8 option and Ford would have owned the small truck market.

Tom

Typical corporate thinking. Still have the same body style after 14 years and they can not figure why the sales have slumped.

Yup. Also the Ranger simply doesn't cost much less than an F150 and unless you get a 4-banger, the mpg isn't much better either.

Too bad. My 1994 Ranger XL was the best vehicle I ever owned. Despite 186,000 miles and my son learning to drive on it, it was still kicking when I traded it in on my '04 ST. I think the article hit it right on the head that the price difference between the Ranger and a base F150 is so little, most people will make the upgrade. But 28 MPG sure was nice.

Some people do not want to drive something as big as an F-150.

Want proof?

Who here knows the F-150 is about the same price as the Sport Trac? Who here also knows the gas mileage isn't much different too?

That did not stop us from buying our Sport Trac either.

Tom

Who here knows the F-150 is about the same price as the Sport Trac? Who here also knows the gas mileage isn't much different too?

That did not stop us from buying our Sport Trac either.

I do! :D gas mileage in my 05 F150 Screw is consistently 2-3 mpg lower than what my ST's could do. I agree though, not everyone wants a full size truck. I had no need for one, nor did I want one when I had my first two ST's. Then I started to run out of room in my box, so that is why I had to get the F150. Like you said, the price difference isn't all that much.

There's already a diesel Ranger with a 4 dr option in brazil and other countries. A few Mexican 4 doors show up in the USA. AT least here in Texas.

Th Ranger is the last true mini truck. All the other brands seemed to have grown up to what a fullsize truck used to be just a few years ago.

REDESIGN and make it in a diesel. Then the other manufacturers would scream!!

Yes indeed, I'd be in front of the line to buy one. I had a Ranger years back and loved it but it's old technology and styling now!