rattling lifters

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well as ususal I am comin for help..........after replacing the thermostat a couple weeks back, the trac has been running great. Today, drove to work and back, let it sit while at home for a few hours then bammmmmmm.........when i fired it up to go get the kiddo, i see check gauge light and notice it is the oil temp........then I immediatly hear what sounds like lifters rattling. Any ideas? Oil pump maybe? Thanks in advance ....ya'll are always helpful. Shannon

Do you have a seperate gauge for oil temp.? The trac guage is actualy an idiot light for oil pressure.

If that gauge fell off and you have motor noise. You have lost oil pressure. Could be oil pump. The simpelest would be a colapsed oil filter. Or you lost all the oil somehow.

Well....I changed the oil and it went away....easy enough I guess, yet the oil filter was plugged from collapsing at the top. Btw....oil pressure gauge not oil temp....i had a brain fart