re: Engine Trouble (update)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keola P

Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone. After we tried starting the trac up, we noticed an odd sound coming from the engine just in front of the driver's side area. After removing the valve cover, we found one of the rocker arms completely shattered.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Stopped by a couple of shops today and they both turned the job down, stating that it would be a difficult fix. Got my work cut out for me at this point. Gonna keep asking around until I can find someone brave enough to bring the trac back to life :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha ST, There were a couple of shops in Kane'oe that I used to go to. If I can find the names, I'll send them on to you.

Good luck Ed

I think Eddie is current about the crack. Magnifying the picture shows it's a jagged line, not straight. I would say you'd be best off getting a reman'd long block, you're already going to need a new head and various other expensive parts. Since you're already going to tear into it that far might as well replace everything while your at it. Having a valve drop in any motor is bad but especially in these newer motors.

Good luck with the fix. :banana:

I would test further and make sure the valve did not smack a piston !!

Todd Z