Real bad fuel mileage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Johnson 2

Reaction score
I have noticed that my MPG is about 12. Does any one have any ideas as to why so low. I know i have rattle from the motor (Timing chain guide issue. Went bad ince but fighting wirh dealer to repair at there cost.) Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

Probably the same reason I get the same fuel mileage. Trucks usually lose fuel economy when they're lifted and have larger tires.:D

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE FLOOR! <lol>.

Mike 12mpg that's pretty bad. My '02 4x4 (looks like your '01) is getting 18mpg city. I started with high 15s

To get the extra 3mpg, I put in a cold air intake, installed Bosch Fusion Ir plugs, Michelin LX tires, I added the tonneu cover & use synthetic oil.

On the Hwy I get about high 25s.

Oh yeah,and I drive it like an old fart.

I average around 16-18 MPG. I usually take off from lights slow. Check your tire pressure, change to synthetic oil, and drive slower.

I still need to recalibrate the speedo for the larger tires. How do I go about doing that? Can I go somewhere and have someone do it, how much does that usually cost? :unsure:

On a recent trip I somehow got a verified by receipts and GPS 27.3 mpg. Could not get it the whole trip as speeds increased, but still came home with an overall average of 22.3 mpg. I was impressed considering 4 passengers, luggage, two large heavy coolers and some toys.

Jerry,

You need a "black box" installed in the VSS line ( about 125-175) or an Xcal, There is no other "right" way to do it on the ST..

Todd Z

Most mileage figures reflect your driving and maintenancehabits, however your 2001 track is getting a little old and might have other issues like compression loss, leaking valves, out of tune, weak plugs and wires, etc, as well as dirty air filter, intake and fuels systems. Also, don't forget transmission slippage, and under-inflated tires.

...Rich

Something else you might try to clean the gunk out of your engine and transmission. I used it last year and will do again._Ron

Latest posts