REAL STUPID question about paypal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
I have a pp acct that is llinked to a bank acct. But to pay someone with pp, I'll be required to have some funds transfered to the pp acct right? I want to get something on ebay and it says papypal only.:wacko::huh:

LaRue,

If you have a credit card connected to your paypal account, you can specify that you want to pay buy credit card and Paypal will handle it that way. If you do not have a credit card linked to your Paypal account, you will need to transfer money into the account. If paypal is sucessful in drawing on the account, your bank might hit you up for an overdraft charge. That's why it is always good to have your account backed up with a credit card. In fact, when I joined you had to have a credit card backup?

...Rich

If it is linked to a bank account you do not have to tranfer funds to your pay pal account. It will automatically be withdrawn from your bank account through pay pal to pay for an auction (or whatever the case).;)

Jo

LaRue,

There are two ways to go. The traditional way is to link a bank account to Paypal and then to transfer funds so that you can pay a seller. The transfer takes 3 to 5 business days as Paypal essentially puts your money in their own escrow account and draws interest on it (that's what they are doing...sure as day).

Another alternative is to add a credit card to the paypal account to act as "Backup Funding" source. Then, when buying something and you don't have enough money in your paypal account the deficit will be charged against that backup funding card. To add a card just edit your profile, then click on the "Credit and Debit Cards" link.

Be warned though. Hacking into paypal accounts is a lucrative business. So keep your password very cryptic (not easily found in a dictionary) and you might not want to use a Debit Card for your backup funding as getting that money back is more of a hassle than a regular credit card should you get hacked.

TJR

Richard,, I do,,,, it's the check card from that account;) I only use this account when I get stuff from auctions. free checking acct with 5$ balance...:D Just add when I need to... and only the amount I need......... Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also apply for a line of credit with PayPal and avoid the credit card. And a note about credit cards on PayPal. If you ever list a Visa card, never, I repeat, never change it. Once a Visa card is removed from PayPal, you can NEVER list another one. You may be able to relist the original, but you cannot change it to another, period. Mastercard is ok. I learned this the hard way. My wife and I have seperate accounts and I messed hers up by removing the Visa card. Google it if you don't believe me. Kind of a rant, but meant as a warning. That is why she had to go to a line of credit, because you can't list the same Visa on two different accounts.

Brad

Brad, I've changed CCds 3 times on PayPal.

This is from their site:

Changing your PayPal funding source

You can change your PayPal funding source for eBay seller fees at any time.

To change your PayPal funding source for eBay seller fees:

From the PayPal home page, log in to your PayPal account.

Click the Profile tab.

In the Financial Information column, click the "Preapproved Payments" link.

Click the "Edit Funding Source" link to change your funding sources.

Click the Save button.

LaRue, As Jo said, you don't have to have a CC attached to the PP acct or even transfer money into the PP acct. They will do an "instant transfer" (ACH) directly from your checking account just like the bill pay services do it.

Gary,

You got me looking. However, there is no "Preapproved Payments" link in my account under Financial Information. Here's what I have:

Financial Information

Credit/Debit Cards

Bank Accounts

Currency Balances

Gifts and Discounts

Recurring Payments

Monthly Account Statements

Pay List

Preapprovals List

The issue I am referring to is strictly a Visa problem. Once you have listed one with them, you cannot remove it and list another. At least I wasn't able to. Maybe they just don't like me.:(

Brad

I actually keep some of my money in a PayPal Money Market account and get a higher % than I do at my normal bank. I leave 'mad money' in the account so if I want to buy something on eBay, especially Buy It Now, I have the money available and do not have to transfer or wait for funds.