Rear Bumper Winch Power

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Fithian

Reaction score
Here's what I did to get a power tap to the rear bumper for a 3,500 lb electric winch on our boat trailer. I am using the truck chassis as a ground, with new 4 AWG ground straps at the battery and rear bumper. Fastronix top post battery terminals are excellent, highly recommended.

Power is fed with a 4 AWG wire through a 150 amp breaker/switch fastened to the top of the fuse cover with Xmas tree push pins. There is enough slack on the input/output wires to allow the cover to rotate out of the way to access fuses. I mounted a Trailer Vision cover to the rear bumper for a 175 amp Anderson plug. A mating plug on the trailer will plug into this and feed power to the winch on the boat trailer.

Attachments

• Fastronix Terminals.jpg
    Fastronix Terminals.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Breaker Wiring.jpg
    Breaker Wiring.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 94
  • Chassis Ground.jpg
    Chassis Ground.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 93
  • TV 175 Anderson Cover Closed.jpg
    TV 175 Anderson Cover Closed.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 87
  • TV 175 Anderson Cover Open.jpg
    TV 175 Anderson Cover Open.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 90
That will work nicely.

Here's what I did to get a power tap to the rear bumper for a 3,500 lb electric winch on our boat trailer. I am using the truck chassis as a ground, with new 4 AWG ground straps at the battery and rear bumper. Fastronix top post battery terminals are excellent, highly recommended.

Power is fed with a 4 AWG wire through a 150 amp breaker/switch fastened to the top of the fuse cover with Xmas tree push pins. There is enough slack on the input/output wires to allow the cover to rotate out of the way to access fuses. I mounted a Trailer Vision cover to the rear bumper for a 175 amp Anderson plug. A mating plug on the trailer will plug into this and feed power to the winch on the boat trailer.
Well done! Looks really clean! Thanks!

Latest posts