Rear differential replacement....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy Coleman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2001, Job 2 Sport trac. 180,000+ miles...

Earlier this year, I had the rear diff replaced because it was totally gone, grinding, popping and lots of metal in the fluid. So it was replaced with a used one. Felt great and has been 100%.... till today. The exact same noises, popping, grinding, exactly the same. And it's only been about 7 months since the work was done. I was wondering if anyone on here knows why it might have happened again? Of course, it was used and could be that it went bad, but it seems odd to have 2 go bad in less than a year. Any thoughts???

I hate to pay, again, to replace it... honestly, it will cost me more than the truck is worth to replace a second time around....

Hope you guys are having a merry christmas!!!

Was the whole housing with every thing replaced, with used.? Or some of your components used, axles, etc.? Or was your housing rebuilt with used internals.?

Everything was replaced... because he found a used one with about 87k miles, he thought it better and even cheaper than spending the time rebuilding. And I agreed...

I've never been in an accident or had any thing happen that could have bent an axle but I suppose anything is possible.... Is that something that could be observed by a mechanic?

I hope that when I take it back he will explore a possible cause and not just fix the diff. He has been a mechanic for a long time but has worked mostly on GM products. Unfortunately, being used I can't imagine there was any kind of warranty with it so I am sure I am on my own to pay for it.

found a used one with about 87k miles

With that milage. It might just be luck of the draw. Previous owner might not have serviced it. Or beat on it hard. It could have checked out and looked good on his inspection. But didnt have many miles left on it.

It happens with salvage parts.

Im not a big fan of drivline salvaged parts. With that milage. Its' an easier job to do a swap. But Im more prone to rebuild.

I have done complete rear swaps. When I found one with 40k or less.

That is JMO.

that could have bent an axle

Bent axle shaft would only come into play if yours were bent. And he used your axle shafts. If you have a bent axle. It will eventually damage the carrier bearings and side gears.

I have seen new cars with bent axle shafts. They got by QC, before assy.