rear end bearings out AGAIN!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike moore

Reaction score
has any one had problems with the rear end pinion bearings ?? i have replaced mine 3 times now!! and it has been almost a year since the last time and there whining again. this is becoming to be a great pain in the ass, its a pain to do an expinsive! does anyone have any idea what might be causing this???? every time i do the job i clean out the entire rear end and use the proper fluids, and i am very carefull 2 set the proper amount of rolling tourqe on the pinion with a new crush sleeve. its even got me 2 the point of trading it off!! and i dont wanna do that i luv my trac!!!

The only thing I can think of is that you are doing something wrong.

I have almost 90,000 miles on mine and still have the original bearings. No problems at all!!!

I admire you for having the balls to tear apart a differential. There is almost nothing I will work on, but a differential is something I will not touch.

Tom

As Tom said, it is not uncommon for those bearings to last the lifetime of the vehicle...

If your on your third set, something is wrong. It may be an issue within the rear end itself or have something to do with your work.

The fact that you did the job leads me to think you are familiar with what needs to be done when doing this job.

However, many people use the original crush sleeve, and in many cases you will get away with it. However, if it is crushed too much, it will create and issue both with the bearings as well as the lash adjustment of the pinion to the ring gear...

If you do the job again, get a new crush sleeve and go from there.

It may be worth tearing it all down and getting a very good look at the inside of the rear end itself...

Sounds like the housing may be damaged either from heat, off roading, accident, or something else...Could be a defective housing from day 1...

Todd Z

Compare what it costs you to do the bearings to purchasing a wrecking yard rear end.

That way if there is something wrong with the housing that is taken care of.

And it sounds like you know what you are doing (I don't have any experience on differentials), but maybe your procedure of replacing the bearings is the culprit.

I would replace the whole thing since this is the third time.:)

yeah i allways use a new crush sleeve, i am a 13 year mechanic, i feel pretty confident in my skills, thats why i am so frutrated with it. i have consenderd a whole rear end from the junk yard.

It sounds like a problem with the axle itself. I think a junkyard axle will fix a lot of your ills.

I just ended up having my whole rear end replaced with a re-built because no junk yards had a rear with the 4:10gears for my truck.(BTW, I have an 01' w/120k and 4x4) It all started with a random clunck one day. Then nothing, I figured I hit some road junk. The next day was fine then the following day a whining sound on the way home that I thought was the tires needing rotation, but right when I got home the rear made a grinding noinse pulling in the driveway and i knew something was very bad. I took it to the dealer and they said the axel bearing pitted the housing then poped out and tore apart the rear. Ford quoted $3500 for a jasoer rebuilt and $4500 for Ford part because the sell the parts individually and they would need to build it. I called my normal mechanic and he had the rear replaced with a Jasper rear(3yr-100k warantee) and replaced acouple of sensors for less than $2300 including tax. Not too bad being if he found a junk yard rear it would have been about $1700 to replace with out the sensors. Best of luck I just wanted to share my story.

No, the shops raped them on the price..:p I can get them all day long for $350-600 at yards around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Thats my thread you are hijacking! LOL!

I just had my rear diff taken care of, lasted over 100k, so hopefully this job will last just as long. ( Yeah, I have high hopes that I'll still be driving the trac at 250k... Hell, I'll probably give the trac to the kids when I buy a brand new 2012 Sport Trac with a Mr. Fusion garbage disposal hooked up to the engine. )

Good luck, Sounds like something is definately not right in there.

Latest posts