Rear end help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Wales

Reaction score
I have a question for all of the experts. I have a 2001 Trac 4x4, 3.73, not limited slip. I have developed a fairly loud high pitched squeal around 40-55 mph. It occasionally turns into a loud squeak. Running it on jack stands definitely makes it sound like it is in the rear differential. I have replaced both u joints and changed the diff fluid. I am thinking it is the pinion bearings at this point. I am not confident that I can change them and get the tolerances all set right. So I am thinking of swapping in a different rear from the junk yard. I am aware I will have to go to rotors, and that is fine, I am confident I can hook them up and get that okay.

My question is, can someone tell me, for certain, what years explorer will have a rear end that will directly bolt in with no problems? I would like to go as new model year as possible to get the best one the yard has. I have been reading posts all over and want to make sure I do not have an issue with the speedometer (not sure about that, some posts have read like some explorers get the signals from the rear end) or something else besides the brake connections. Or does any one have a better idea about my squeak, squeal, whirl sound...

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

I think you may have seals squealing, Bearings do not squeal..... they make more of a hum or grinding noise.....

As for bolt in, I think the ST has a unique rear but i may be wrong on that...

Todd Z

Sport has disc.... I think from 2000 up

Todd Z

Thanks for the input so far. So it sounds like the rear should come from an ST and not any Explorer? My yard will not have many, if any Sts.

Todd Z, what seals might make a squeal like that?

I should mention that I already took the truck to a local "expert" who replaced the carrier bearings, front pinion oil seal, and adjusted all the tolerances. He was never able to hear the noise (figures) and felt that everything else in the rear was fine. So it is possible it is something else, but I am lost. The noise comes and goes (usually it is present), also when I left off the throttle it usually will get worse and loud for about 3-4 seconds, then it is totally gone.

Thanks again everyone.

So today I changed the rear wheel bearings and oil seals, they were not leaking, but I thought maybe I would get lucky. After returning the bearing puller to Advanced (about 38 miles round trip) I have not yet heard a squeak or squeal. I guess I should have started with them (don't know why the guy who worked on it didn't) they were even cheaper than the u joints.

Thanks for the ideas.