Rear End Leaning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Chong

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring this up again. I got the front end of my 2003 ST XLT adjusted so it is level now, but my back end is still 1/2 off on one side (passenger side). What gives? I thought that the torsion bolt will level both front and back? I got under the truck to measure the shock mount and the passenger side is 1/2 higher than the driver side. So is it my shocks or my leaf springs that is causing the problem? Or is it the mount itself or something else? Anyone has any idea, please chime in. It is really bugging me.:(

Thanks.

Early model Tracs did have a rear leaf spring issue. Pretty minor for the most part. In most cases it was adjusted using the front torsion bars.

I know of a few people that Ford did cover the job and replace the rear leaf springs. I am guessing your Trac is an older model. You do not list the year in your profile.

Seems the later 2002's on up don't have this issue.

budmelon,

technically, that's with-in the Ford spec for rear lean, but it really needs to be measured on an alignment rack, or at least a very level surface before going any further.

If the front is where it should be, then there is a possibility that neutralizing the rear spring eye and shackle bolts may help. It may be necessary to swap the rear springs side to side to diagnose.

Without being able to actually see the vehicle, I can't really give you a single direction to go.

I would recommend that you go to the Service Manager at the dealership that adjusted the torsion bars and see if he is willing to pursue the issue.

Costiejoe - my tank is about 1/2 full at the moment. I did take that into consideration.

Hal - I like the idea of swapping the leaf springs side to side. If I do take the leaf springs out, do I need alingment or anything of that nature? Also, do you know what torque specification for all the nuts and bolts? One more thing, what is neutralizing the rear spring eye and shackle bolts? I'll try whatever is the easiest one first.

Thanks.

budmelon,

ANYTIME the ride height is changed you need to check the alignment.

Neutralizing is merely loosening all fasteners that mount a component, bouncing the vehicle or driving it slowly over a couple of speed bumps, and torquing the fasteners WITH THE VEHICLE ON THE GROUND - do not jack it up to tighten the fasteners.

If that makes no change in ride height AND you are POSITIVE that the torsion bars are adjusted correctly, then swapping the rear leaf springs side to side will determine if it's a spring issue.

Keep in mind that if you record ANY rear height change, the torsion bar adjustment will need to be touched up also.

Latest posts