Rear End Singing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl beasley

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
In the past 5 or 6K miles, I have a "singing" sound coming from the rear end on my 2001 ST. I've got 68K on it. This only happens while applying power or while under power at cruise. No noise while Decelling.

Door Tag says Axle with a 42 underneath.

/TR with a D underneath.

Axle tag reads S662A.

any Ideas as to the cause? I'm thinking pinion or wheel bearing.

Thanks,

Carl

askcart,

Unfortunately, rear axle noises are very difficult to diagnose without hear them in person. Noises vary from clunking, squealing, to whining and howling. I have not hear of singing, but do you recognise the song :rolleyes:

They can also be speed related, load related or not even related to either speed or load.

Depending upon the sound, the speed or load it could be U-Joint, several bearing, low on axle gear lube, or something as simple as tire noise.

....Rich

Thanks for the input, Rich.

It is a Whine or higher pitch only on application of power or under power at cruise. Never on decell. always above 20 mph.

Don't know the song. I've looked at getting a new ST but, by the time I'm done with the options I'm over 32K.

Not going to happen.

I'd rather replace the axle on the one I own.

carl

I've decided to replace: tires, rear pinion, axle bearings, sway bars, shocks, diff cover, lube etc... as needed. That and do a couple of the "upgrades" listed here. Thanks for the input.

I love the Island Blue color and it is no longer offered on the ST.

A little up keep maintenance and no payments.

Like most things at this time of my life it's "cheaper to keep her".

carl

Latest posts