rear end

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Henry

Reaction score
I bought my 02 ST in February of this year with about 46000mi, no problems, ran great, clean, and beautiful. Then I deployed to the middle east, by the time I got back in Nov my better half had managed about 10000 miles and the rear gear box sounded like an erector set going through a meat grinder. I can't blame her driving because despite the amount, she drives very very conservatively, as for not noticing, well, I don't think the radio left max. for the entire 10000mi. We do live on a gravel road but when the case was opened it was clean, minus flecks of the gears and I am wondering what might have caused this, how best to replace everything (just internal parts, or entire rear end) and how to do it all cost effectively before I have to drive 1000 miles to Georgia next month. ANY suggestion would be welcome.:unsure:

I am sure you do not need to replace the entire rear end. You do need to take a good look and see exactly what was making the noise. It could be nothing more than one of the bearings. Pinion bearings make a terrible noise if they get bad and don't get replaced for example.

The gear sets are easily available. Both from Ford and more than a few after-market companies.

Used are also an option. Normally the cheapest way to go if you find you do need new gears.

Based on your description of what your seeing once you opened the case it does not sound you need gears though...

My concern is that there is definitely wear inside the transfer case, metal filings etc. when the service nut is removed. The transfer case became my suspect originally because the noise would only occur noticeably when I was giving gas and thereby actually causing the drive shaft to apply pressure inside the case. My thought of replacing the entire rear end (transfer case, gears, maybe axle) was to countermine any damage caused inside the transfer case or to any of these parts by having the gears grinding. Of course suggested inexpensive retailers, new, used, or even salvaged (though I am not sure which makes/models are compatable) would help.

Are you aware of the TSB on the transfer case. It has to do with the Chain rattling????

I thought you were concerned about the rear end but in your last post you seem to be concerned about the transfer case....

sorry got transfer case stuck in my head and didn't stop to check what I had written before I posted, I am referring to the rear differential, but now that you mention an issue with the transfer case, there is a bit of a rattle that could be coming from there, I had just attributed it to the issue with the rear end travelling further forward along the drive shaft.

But I can't overlook that there are metal filings in the grease from the rear differential.