Rear End

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayson Vagenas

Reaction score
ok i have an 02 with 4.10 and non limited, my ? is would it be easier (cheaper)for me to put new limited slip and i want disc brakes in or to just find a newer ST with everything i want in it and just swap it? i am also open to any advise on what to put in it if i go and buy a new posi i really want it for off roading and towing. as always all of ur opinoins are welcome.

Jayson,

I installed a Ford Motorsport M-2300-G 8.8" Rear disk conversion kit. The install was easy and worth it. I do recomend that if you do noy know anything about mechanic work, you might want to find someone that does. Next to my name is a little wrench. Click it. It will give you a list of my projects and there is one there on doing the brake conversion. I purposely left some information out to protect those that know little about mechanic work. If you know what you are doing, it is a very helpful guide to give you an idea what needs to be done to complete the swap.

For the rear end, I do recomend a Powertrax unit. I watched them install a unit on one of those car shows on "Spike TV". It looks simple enough. You need to follow the instructions closely or you can get yourself into a bind. Not something to take lightly. Rear end work is very expensive and almost, note I said ALMOST, beyone the reach of most backyard mechanics. Installing the powertrax kit involves removing of the spider gears. That is simple. if you have to set your pinion angle, that is the hard part. I would not even consider doing that myself. A slight off mesh between the ring and pinion will have the gears ruined in no time. installing the Powertrax shouldn't require you to do anything with the ring and pinion, but crap happens and if you screw something up, you may find yourself in a situation.

If I were to do what you want to do, I would buy the brake kit, along with the Banjo bolts, washers, brake hoses, brake lines, pads (I would not use the rivited pads that come in the kit), and parking brake cables. Since the kit is based off the 1996 Explorer and the 2003-2005 Trac has the same brakes, just ask for parts for a 2003 Trac. The pads, rotors, cables, etc will work just fine from a 2003.

Once the drum to disk conversion is complete, then you can install the Powertrax unit. If I did not get the Limited Slip, I would have already installed the kit. If, and when, my clutches wear out, I will install one. My Trac is only a 4x2, and not a 4x4, offroading is not in my usage, though, I like having the two wheel traction for slippery surfaces. My Trac does not venture off the road much, if at all.

To do the disk conversion, you must remove your axles. Not hard to do, but you need a buddy, or a good girlfriend/wife, to help. You really need two people to remove the axles.

Make sure you have good jackstands and dedicate a weekend, or longer, to do the swap. I had mine done in a day and I had my brother, who has forgotten more about cars then I will ever know, help me. I would not have done it without his help. I have rebuilt engines and removed & replaced them, so I am no dummy when it comes to working on cars. I know what I am doing, but I still felt I needed his help...just to be on the safe side.

Too bad you live so far away. I would be more then willing to help you complete everything.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me via email or leave me a message here.

Tom