Rear Signal and Brake Light out - 2003 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

default user

Reaction score
(Did a couple of searches but did not find an answer)

I've got a problem with the rear passenger's blinker and brake light. I'm not getting any power to these filiments in the bulb.

I get running lights (the parking light filiment) so I know I have ground.

First noticed the fast flashing of the blinker relay when using the signal on this side.

Cleaned the socket and I thought this fixed the problem but it quickly returned. Replaced the bulb, used di-electric grease on the bulb, and now I am not getting the brake or signal light on this side with either bulb.

Pulled the lower trim panel in the dash to see what the flasher looks like and it is a large multifunction relay.

Probed the socket from the back side. Can get power from the working circuit but the one I'm trouble shooting has no power in the line.

Any thoughts? Is this the module? I'll start chasing the line back from the tailgate but I did not think I hit or did anything that would have damaged the wiring harness.

Any troubleshooting advice?

What is the path for the wires from the rear tail light (passenger's side) to the relay box under the dash?

Thanks,

RAV

There is a harness in the steering column. It tends to unplug ot break wiring as to the tilt is used. The harness is too short. Remove the column covers and check that. Do a search and you will find more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say you replaced the bulb, you mean with a new one right? I would clean up the grease and try again. If not then it's probably what Fast Eddie pointed out. I had this happen a couple of times, it was the light bulb every time.

Have two confirmed bulbs - one new that is the correct p/n.

I think the column tilt thing is the cause.

The blinker came back on after the first review but was out shortly afterward.

I was suspecting the contacts on that intermediate connector/adapter this time so I cleaned it and greased it - but it is still out.

I'm keeping the dash apart as I continue.

Any tips on column disassembly?

RAV

It is fairly easy. You need to remove JUST the cover around the column, not a major tear down.

Once in there, pull the wire harness up in the direction of the steering wheel and then wire tie it so that it does not slip back down to where it is.

I would also follow the wire down and pull it up from under the dash area and wire tie it to be safe...

Just FYI, if you ever find a melted/broken connector @ the multifunction switch these wiring pigtails are available from Motorcraft.

2005 Switch Multi Function .................................................................................WPT-396

2004 Switch Multi Function ................................. 12F........................................ WPT-503

2003-01 Switch Multi Function ............................. 9M ....................................... WPT-611

2001 Switch Multi Function .................................. 7F ........................................ WPT-179

b488437f270e1d24b3325276062386ba.jpg
WPT-396
2e1bf4eee901cfc1fe29b294534b68b8.jpg

Thanks for the info so far.

I have confirmed that the lights correctly operate when the steering wheel is locked in the upright position.

If you are saying that all I need to do is tie the harness in place - EXCELLENT!

I'll also look for the previously mentioned burn marks.

RAV

RAV,

You only need to pull up a little more slack in the wiring harness so that the up/down motion of the steering column does not put strain on the harness and multi-function connector. Occasionally, it can actuall pull wires out of the connector or break them.

...Rich

I completed this repair.

After reviewing the wiring, I found one other wire problem (anti-theft wire very tight as well).

Connector retaining tabs - on the individual wires were broken. I hot melted them in place.

(Submitted a project on this with photos).

Due to the nature of the fragile connections in this area, after the repair, I chose to place the wheel in a comfortable location and removed the tilt lever.

The truck is getting older and these wires are less flexible than the used to be. In the interest of avoiding future costly repairs, I chose to minimize the stress in the future by imobilizing the wheel. The lever is available in my console if needed.

Here is a link to the project:

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/Steering_Column_Wiring_Repair_Gen1.pdf

I tried this project tonight. My left signal indicator flashes fast and the left rear signal does not work (although it was intermittent for a day). I never use my tilt, although it's in the full down position. Apparently the 2004 ST I have is different than the 2003 pictured - different plugs. I finally got the top cover off the steering column and disconnected and inspected both the top plug (by the flasher switch) and the side plug (by the turn signal switch). I cannot find any obviously damaged or loose wires. And after reassembly there was a strange sound coming from the steering column when I first restarted the vehicle (I had disconnected the battery). Questions:

1. I'm hoping against hope that it might just be a bulb, just as a last check. How do I get the rear lens cover off to replace/check?

2. If it's not a bulb, any suggestion? I hate to bring my vehicles to a shop!

I'm on duty all night at the FD and will check back later, as I can use the shop here at the station.

Thank you.

If yours is an early production '04 it could have the WPT-503 connector. It still sounds like your problem is in the MFS wiring or the MFS itself. There IS a possibility that there is a bad ground at the front or rear lamp but moving your column would then have no effect on your problem.

Rear bulb replacement is accessed by dropping the tailgate, removing the rubber plugs on the side near the tail lamp and removing the screws behind the plugs.

Here is a link to the project:

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/Steering_Column_Wiring_Repair_Gen1.pdf

Good show RAV !!

Help! Followed Steve instructions on replacing the Multi-function-Switch as my left turn signal would only work if the steering wheel was all the way up. Ok, so I replace the switch, everything rewired and now Nothing works!

Did the same repair 3 times still nothing. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thx!

Man, I love this website!!:banana: This site has saved me lots of time by really getting to the heart of the problem :love:. My left turn signal on my 2001 ST stopped working intermittently. Of course, the first thing I did was check the bulb. I have a microscope so I checked out the bulb filaments and noticed they were just fine. I had a hunch the problem was elsewhere. This was confirmed when I moved my gear selector to Park and the blinker started working again. So what did I do next? I came straight to my beloved Sport Trac Web Site and did a search on the problem. Sure enough! Someone else had the same problem! I haven't confirmed the problem is the same with my truck yet but I'm fairly confident it's the wiring harness. I'd like to send a big shout out to Steve M. for posting his repair :supercool:. Thanks to Steve and all the members who post their repairs. It's a Godsend for all of us looking for a quick solution to our ST problems. Cheers! :haveabeer:

Latest posts