Reasons to use factory cross bars

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Loo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I found a set of factory crossbars yesterday for a fair price ($60) and decided to install today.

I installed an aftermarket set a few years ago I found off eBay. Removing them was a hassell, as the locks had rusted shut and the mounting bolts had also rusted to the point that I had to use an angle grinder to get them off.

They had also started to cause rust stains on the roof.

I used never dull to remove the rust stains and I sprayed the new mounting screws with lithium grease to hopefully avoid this in the future.

The aftermarket crossbars caused quite a bit of wind noise; the factory bars look a lot more aerodynamic, so this should reduce the noise.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Nice..they look great.. Factory is always great.. and fit right..

But with a little Elbow Grease and paint.. they can look even better.

here is what I did with mine..

[Broken External Image]:

Looks good Bo. Hey, you always post coupons and deals for Advanced Auto. I need to buy a set of hub bearing assemblies and not sure where to findor how to use the computer coupons.

Great! It looks like your old bars are the same that I justs bought.

The factory does look much better.

Did the old set ever cause you any problems other than the noise and discoloration?

H,

The aftermarket bars were OK - they did their job and were quite sturdy. I didn't appreciate them rusting out like that, though.

Latest posts