Remote start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Tollison 3

Reaction score
Not sure what to post this under but I am wanting to get remote start put on my 02 explorer and the ST. I was quoted $280 each including installation. Is that a good price or should I continue to look around. I would install it myself but I do not want to screw something up. Has anyone installed one before and if so how hard was it to do.

It's not that hard to install

its under the viper vs ... question check it out on the second page

i installed it myself about 2 years ago on my 02 ST

280 sounds good if its a 2 way system? Just a remote start i charged $50 for the unit at that time & 80 to install. Do you have a spare key and a by-pass box?

you have to bypass the anti-theft system. if you don't the truck will not start the theft system will cut it off. Its a box that you install under the dash. it holds a spare key and it transmit the signal from the key to the ignition when you use the remote start. It makes the trunk think there a key in the ignition. The box only sends the signal when you use the remote start. So you still have you Anti-Theft when the remote start is not not in use. On the 2003+ i think you can use a keyless by-pass

My very first one I installed was in 2002. It was an old/used unit without a lot of instructions and I was 18 years old. First time ever doing something like that. I didn't even know how to wire/install a radio. I didn't have a clue on how to start where to start and no one to help me. So here I was, some tools, a unit and a new ST that I only had for about 5 months. Well no one wanted any part of it... Telling me that I’m going to mess up the computer... blow the engine... crap like that. Well I like to do my own thing. It took about 6 hours to hook every thing up ... I think I tested every wire under that dash at least ten times before I hooked anything to it. If you were to look at my wires you would see little pin holes on just about every wire down there. Well it was time to test it. Alarm works, doors lock / unlock okay good. Now it was time for the remote start. Let’s just say I took a couple of steps back, just in case. On this model the lights flash 3 times and it starts. I press the button lights flash one, two, three, and :blink: ............ nothing not a boom, no smoke, no anything. I didn't open the door I just peaked thru the window. Then I saw that the Anti-Theft Light was blinking really fast. Okay now what. I could start it with the key. So I didn't mess anything up I guess. I read that book up and down. On the back cover in very fine print read: Some newer model cars may require a Transponder/pats By-pass kit. So that took a week to get delivered hooked that up and it started right up. So to answer your question it depends on how much you know about wiring. I had no experience what so ever. Now it takes me no time at all. The last time I put one on it took 2-3 hours for the full system. That bulldog website is where I got all of my wire colors from. (I installed their systems allot). All of your wires are under the dash (driver side) and in your kick panel (for door locks). The ignition wires are hard to get to. Never cut thru a wire... cut the wire plastic off and spread the wire apart to make a circle and then feed the new wire thru the hole and twist it and tape. Some people like to use the pinch/push connector that you put over the wire and crimp the new wire to it, they work (saves time) and always tape them because if you don't they come loose. That orange drop cord looking thing goes to the air bag so don't touch it. Any questions let me know.

That's a fairly good price Andrew. If I remember correctly, I paid well over $300 for mine. However, it's certainly worth it on those cold mornings. :)

I think I am going to take it and get it installed by someone. I found somewhere that will do it for about $225. Probably going to take it after the first of the year.

280 is a really good price if its including all the parts...Also make sure they interface the aftermarket remote start with the OEM..And the power locks should also be included in this price..

Latest posts