Removed some "extra" hoses from engine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George C

Reaction score
Anyone with an 02 will know what I am talking about in this post. The 02's have an extra vacuum line that goes to a check valve and then into the intake tube. Todd Z never liked it and wanted to remove it for the longest time :p I finally let him remove it the other day and everything feels exactly the same and I don't have the extra junk under the hood. He replaced it with just a direct hose like all the other years and it looks much better under the hood. :D

In he first picture the red arrows show the hose that was removed and the yellow arrow is the check valve that is removed. In the second picture the red arrow shows the replacement hose. I just have blue loom over the hoses.

Thanks Todd!

George

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Damn Tiger, you are a breath of fresh air some times.:wacko:

Looks good to me George. That hose didn't look right being there.;)

Todd needs to come to Punxsy and do some crap for me sometime.:lol:

Why do you think that Ford installed the "extra hose" and check valve? What do you think that Ford would say is the purpose of this extra stuff? Just wondering.

Jerry

Where did the end that was NOT attached to the check valve go?

I am curious as it seems the check valve was part of the brake booster system.

The 01 job 1 doesn't have it, The 01 job 2 doesn't have it, Most 02's have it and some 03's.

The other end is capped. The other hose end goes into the intake tube, next to the PCV breather inlet tube.

The check valve for the brake booster is on the 90 degree fitting that pushes into the booster, so there is no safty concerns with it.

The little in line check is more like a small filter. Most of these are put there as a small vacuum relief. Since Ford removed it, It obviously was not doing what they wanted.

Todd Z

George you know with all that stuff disconnected you can noy get the blue intake tubes....LOL

That sound like a great idea. Always looking for more blue under the hood.

George

Why don't you just get some blue spray paint and go to town then? Just cover the fenders and spray away, gotta make sure to get everything though, otherwise it'll just look dumb.

Why don't you just get some blue spray paint and go to town then? Just cover the fenders and spray away, gotta make sure to get everything though, otherwise it'll just look dumb.

Hmmm, don't know why you are jumping down my throat because you don't like the look of the engine especially when I wasn't asking for opinions and that wasn't the topic of the post.

Jealous? Not even one iota.

I love the look of an engine, just hate the crap thrown on top of them to try to "glamour" them up excessively. Colored wire loom was the look in the '90s, especially with the low-rider, mini-trucks, and import crowd.

Besides, you've still got way too many "extras" in there. All you really need is maybe two or three vacuum lines, a small bundle of wires, and 6 spark plug wires. Everything else is useless junk.

Most of that useless junk is needed for emissions and to keep that stupid CEL off.... Yes it is not needed on a carburetor car..

But just because some people don't like it their way they spit negative garbage toward your ideas..

AND TIGER that was not directed toward you so no freaking flame wars, it is a general statemenet....

Todd Z

Hmmmm? I wonder why Ford would put that on there if it was not needed?. I know! They wanted to spend more money per vehicle on unneeded parts, or Perhaps they have a valid purpose for puting them on.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if Ford put the check valve there because of some odd and rare circumstances where the brake booster might loose vacuum and you end up without power brakes just when some kid runs out in front of you, or a big 18 wheeler fails to yeild the right of way.

And just how many horses did this release?

...Rich

Todd-

I ran my 240 off of two vacuums and was able to eliminate much of the wiring. Granted, I did eliminate many of the emissions and I don't have a CEL, but if you live in an area that doesn't do testing, then all you really need is a few vacuums and a small bundle of wires.

On the 240, I needed a vacuum for my fuel pressure regulator and vacuum to my IAC and AAC; I was able to eliminate vacuum to my charcoal canister, AIV (fresh air pump), EGR, swirl control and a few others. And since all of this stuff plugged in, I was able to get rid of those wires as well, so basically all the wires I had were to my O2 sensor, IAC, AAC, MAF, throttle position, and fuel injectors. Looked much, much better with everything removed.

Now, on the 302 in the garage, it runs off only one vacuum, distributor advance (a second goes to brake booster). I've got my ground to the distributor, coil wire, oil pressure tube and water temp tube all bundled together and running to the rear of the motor where they go through the fire wall then to wherever they need to go. Overall, looks very uncluttered and neat.

I guess thats just what I like. Have only what you need to make the motor run, get rid of everything else, and what is left, hide it and don't draw attention to it. Afterall, isn't the true showcase item of an engine bay the engine? Not all the stuff that covers and hides it?