Removing rear headrest

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do I remove the rear seat headrest in the Trac. I didn't know if I just need to pull straight up or if there is a pin that needs to be depressed.

Thanks in advance!

If its a Gen two (07/08) you will need a paperclip or some other thin but rigid object to push in the pin that retains it in place. The hole for the pin is in the little plastic surround piece that is where the headrest brackets enter the seat (one per headrest). Pulling it up without pushing in the pin will NOT work.

I used an allen key and you will need two hands to pull up and push in the pin at the same time. Its rather a silly system if you ask me, a simply push button would have been more effective for sure.

Normally would not be a big deal for most however in mmy case when I put in child booster seat the headrest has to come out, so for a few years this will be a pain for me.

Cheers;

Eric

Racer is rite, it's a huge pain! And to make matters worse the pin that you have to push in is on both headrest post which adds to the challenge. Maybe someone can explain why a simple push button design was not used.

To remove the headrest only, not the rods into the seat back. Look on the back of the pad, you'll see where two flaps come together from top to bottom. There are four notched plastic tabs, two on each flap that go into slots in the plastic core of the head rest . Carefully pry up near the ends of these flaps. Then you can unscrew the head rest from the rods. Sorry, no time for pics right now.

Latest posts