Replacing CV

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Thompson

Reaction score
I just dropped the St off at the dealership (probably first mistake) but i had a hub replaced about 2 months ago. The truck has devoloped a clicking noise not noticable until your driving along a retaining wall etc. seems to go away when turning etc. After doing a little research im starting to think it might be the cv. if it is would this be a hard replacement to do myself. i have the tools and a keen eye but not too familar with working on the truck. should i just get them to do it??

I would run to the dealer and get your ST back. It is a simple installation to do your self. Click the wrench next to my name. Also following my project it shows how to replace the hubs as well. My CV's were $65.00 from NAPA and they are new not rebuilt units.

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced both front wheel bearing assemblies due to a roaring noise (the second one about 3 months after the first). The CV shafts usually make a clicking noise when turning and not when going straight (from my experience). It is something you can do yourself with a little patience and time. First I would jack the wheel in question off of the ground and see if there is any side to side play when you grab the wheel and move it back and forth. It may very well be the bearing and not the axle.

To get the axle out I just took the wheel off, removed the brake caliper, and then removed the axle nut. After that, just pop the upper control arm off of the hub assmbly. The nut holding the axle on is the hardest thing to get off. I do not remember the torque specs, but it is a self locking nut and is difficult to remove without an impact. After you remove those four things, with a litter persuasion the axle should be abler to be taken out. I made the mistake of not replacing the axle seals when I did it... I didn't even think about it until I had the front of the truck disassembled. Spend the extra few dollars if you're in there anyway.

Thanks for the quick response guys! with the clicking only when driving straight would this probably be the hub. as well there is a roar in the cab of the truck when going. I have been blaming it on my knobby tires but im thinking the hub or cv. and after all this should i have an aligment job as well??

My ST had the "roaring" sound as well. I replaced both hubs with and all is well now. Well except I screwed up my alingment in Moab:huh: I guess I should not have climbed up those huge rocks:D

Chad - small price to pay (price of an alignment) for the adventure you just had. I saw the pictures. That was awesome! Did you do any damage on those rocks?

If you check under your vehicle on a regular basis, like when you change oil you will see that the boots are torn, or cracked and the grease has leaked out. That's what causes CV joint failures. This is especially true if you do any Off-Road drivintg.

If you catch it early enough, you only need to replace the boots, and they make split-boots that you can install without removing the axles. They use little nuts and bolts to hod the seams together...Again, they only work if you catch them early enough.

That's the problem with taking you vehicle to a lube shop for a quickie oil change. They don look at the boots because they usually don't do those kinds of repairs. They only look at things that they do and can make money on.

...Rich

Latest posts