Replacing Rocker Panels 2010 Adrenalin - some questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gagnier

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post here.
I bought a silver Adrenalin 2010 back in October of 2021. Rockers were all rusted out of course (in Michigan, of course)
This is going to be my forever vehicle and I am planning on relacing these rockers (entire uniside actually) and painting the vehicle white.

My question is: besides being in Michigan, is there a reason this happens in the vehicles? Is there some kind of design flaw that can be corrected somehow when we have the truck body apart? If anyone can help me know the answer to this question I would appreciate it.

This truck is silver, but I will be painting it metallic white, with the black accents of course.
It has been a fun truck so far. Have always wanted one.

Thanks, all!

Chris

my STA hasnt had the cab corner or rocker cancer luckily, but i've heard it can be caused by the 3rd brake light leaking. i sealed mine up with some rtv on the seal and around the screws back about 10 years ago...

Third brake light and rear window seal... The brake light is easy, Rear window, Only park on an angle, Get a third window rain guard. I have always wanted to test drain holes, But in too scared... LOL

Todd:
What is a third window rain guard? Is that one of those plastic things that go above the window? I having an elderly moment and can't picture what it is.
Thanks

I put one of those on both of my ST's because of that terrific vent position feature for the rear window. In hot weather I leave it open and if it rains, no water gets into the truck. With the typical tint on those units, you can't even see that the window is open unless you walk right up to it and look under it.

Thanks for replying, guys. I hadn’t checked this in a while. I am actually planning on replacing the entire uniside on both sides of the truck. I got a really good body shop by me that does it. It’s not cheap of course, but I bought this to be my forever truck. It’s a 2010 silver Adrenaline. I am also planning on painting it white metallic when I get this work done. I will post some pictures when I go through this process.

Thanks for replying, guys. I hadn’t checked this in a while. I am actually planning on replacing the entire uniside on both sides of the truck. I got a really good body shop by me that does it. It’s not cheap of course, but I bought this to be my forever truck. It’s a 2010 silver Adrenaline. I am also planning on painting it white metallic when I get this work done. I will post some pictures when I go through this process.
Interesting topic. I am considering having the rocker panels and cab corners on my 2009 STA done too and will be taking it in shortly to the resto shop when the owner gets back from vacation for an estimate.
Do you know if replacement panels are available, or do they fabricate the parts?

While the uniside does appear to be available, replacing the entire assy is very invasive, not really necessary and will cost a fortune. Most shops section in the lower part and if done properly will be as good as new. I did collision repair for 25 years and won’t get into great detail here, but feel free to ask questions. A color change is also a ton of work done correctly. You might want to be sitting when you see the estimate.

Thanks for the heads up on this and hopefully the resto shop can do it at a reasonable price and within my budget. Prices of used trucks here in the Milwaukee WI area are ridiculous. Good luck Gagnier on your repairs. I too plan on keeping mine for a long time.
So, I do not believe that can corners and rocker panels are available from after market places and such like they are for F-150’s and bigger trucks etc..
I believe you have to get the entire uniside, which is the entire door frame. I believe you can get that from Ford. They seemed to bee about $600 or so just for one side. That’s just for the part. I am choosing to have the entire uniside replaces, but I am sure a body shop would be willing to cut the part down to the rockers and just scrap the rest. That’s really they only way to do it the cheapest.
There is however a problem where they need inner rockers, but they said they can fabricate those, but it’s hard to do ie. more expensive. They also may need to extend the floor pans out. They can fabricate those too.
All together it’s gonna cost about 2k per side. I personally don’t care about that, because for 1 I got this truck for half the price of blue book (w/ clean title), and 2: this is going to be my forever truck.

Let me know if you have any more Q’s.
I will definitely share this process with pictures and everything. I am not planning on doing this till next summer (2023)

And sorry, with all the typos using my phone to do this, it looks like I’m not familiar with the English language!

Thanks for the update. I'll let you know what the local restoration shop says when they look at it. I plan on having the truck done this year. I'm not sure if the uniside needs to be replaced on mine, but am glad that it is available if need be. Sounds like a good price. Verbal quote last September at a car show was $2500 per side for rocker panel replacement is typical.

Interesting topic. I am considering having the rocker panels and cab corners on my 2009 STA done too and will be taking it in shortly to the resto shop when the owner gets back from vacation for an estimate.
Do you know if replacement panels are available, or do they fabricate the parts?
I had a local body shop fabricate parts

That was what I am hoping for...shop I am looking at does that type of work. Either way, with fabrication of parts or replacement pieces, I would like it done. I am older now and me crawling under cars or trucks to remove rust and bad areas and repair with bondo is not fun anymore.

I had this done on my ST. Took it to a resto shop that had fabrication skills. Worth every dime since I bought this as my "forever" truck as well. The shop claimed that most rust wasn't from the 3rd brake light but was due to poor drain design by Ford. The drain holes were tiny and easily clogged. The other issue, of course, was salt intrusion in the Winter. My truck was a one owner with low mileage and the paint was (and is) excellent. I knew that salt is an issue for WVA vehicle and rolled the dice. Fortunately, it was ONLY the rockers. Wasn't cheap but the shop did great work and I've been happy ever since.

Do you have any before, during repair and after photos you can share please?

No I don't. Sorry. Most of the rust was at the rear corner of the rockers but enough was showing up in other spots that I had the shop do a full replacement. As I said, I knew this going to be a keeper, so I didn't mind paying to having the job done right.

Thanks for the update. I'll let you know what the local restoration shop says when they look at it. I plan on having the truck done this year. I'm not sure if the uniside needs to be replaced on mine, but am glad that it is available if need be. Sounds like a good price. Verbal quote last September at a car show was $2500 per side for rocker panel replacement is typical.
Omg!!!! Insane

Latest posts