Replacing spark plugs. Wires too?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
My Trac reached 100,000 miles and I'm doing some maintenance. I changed my plugs and wires about 60k miles ago I think, and I'm wondering if the Taylor Vertex wires need to be replaced along with plugs.

Edit: Uhm, nevermind. I had forgotten how much they were. I will be holding on to current set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorcraft SP500 + Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2 = Great Combination :supercool:

Buy the wires direct from Taylor, much faster and usually cheaper.

One of those things that if one is bad you will know it, if not you will have a hard time seeing a difference after installing new ones.

I did my plugs and left my 70K PD wires on there, JUST lube the boots well and your good !!

Todd Z

Fords are kind of picky in regards to plug wires. With that amount of miles I would definetely replace the wires. Personally I like the Denso wires, excellent fit and they hold up extremely well and the price is right, only $18 from Rock Auto which is half the price I can get them from my suppliers.

I changed my plugs and wires about 60k miles ago

Wires are still good. If you have dought. Run a resistance check with a digital vom.

You should see about 150 to 200 ohms per foot.

While I don't totally disagree with resistance checks on plug wires, when a plug wire fails it is usually due to a break in the outer insulation that allows the spark to jump to a gap other than the spark plug. There isn't a test out there that you can do with a meter to check this.

Latest posts