Replacing T-stat Housing Now, Found Something Interesting...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of replacing the upper/lower t-stat housing right now (was leaking). I'm using the project posted here as a guide, and ordered all the parts listed in the project from Torrie. When I got my old lower housing off, I discovered something curious. In the project, the lower housing has two holes for temp sensors, and two sensors. My old lower t-stat housing has only one actual hole and sensor. The other hole is plugged. Other than that, the old/new housings are identical. All the numbers stamped on them are identical too. No big deal, I'll just install the new one with both sensors. One will be functional, and the other will just plug the second hole.

Anyone else encountered this when doing this project? If not, I thought I'd share with y'all for future reference.

Pics of the two lower housings, with a screwdriver showing the difference in the sensor holes:

Old:

[Broken External Image]:

New:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually came off very easily. Nowhere near as much trouble as you and others have described.

Train Trac, yes I had that happen to me about a year ago. I ordered the parts from fordpartsfast.com network and when the parts were delivered, I found that same scenario with my part. I called back to find the parts were actually sent to me from a local Ford dealer from the southwestern part of Fort Worth Texas. No problem he said and promptly sent me the correct part and told me to keep the other one, though identical except the holes. I needed the one with 1 hole instead. Had it installed on my 2001 ST and have had no problems since then. Strange parts these Ford parts are:yawn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I just finished this project, took a test drive, and everything's running great at optimal temps, no leaks. Since I had the two-hole lower housing and two sensors, I just installed it that way. So one of the sensors is not hooked up to anything. It's merely serving to plug the non-used hole on the t-stat housing.

Since I had everything torn apart, I figured it was a good opportunity for a little "spring tune-up". So I also cleaned the throttle body, IAC, & MAF sensor. Also did a Seafoam treatment.

It's good to have a day off of work where I can get a little "Trac" time!:banana:

I had just the opposite problem. I needed the two hole version and got the single hole. Of course, I didn't find this out until I had the T-stat housing already off and ready to replace. :angry: On the bright side, once I got the correct housing I was able to do the job much faster than the first time. :supercool: