Reprogrammed tranny

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Cacioppo

Reaction score
Has anyone had a 2-3 transmission problem, or as a matter of fact, any other problems after a transmission reprogram via WFOY or other source. I know that a fix for the 5R55E is an updated selonoid to accomplish firmer shifts, but the reprogram with higher pressures may also fix it. I'm just trying to get a feel from the members. BTW I have a WFOY program but only 21K miles on the Trac. Too little to come to a conclussion.

Mike, the first thing I did was get a chip from apten. Then Wayne came along, the 2-3 was gone with the chip but then the chip failed and i got the 9100 tuner from Wayne. The 2-3 was gone again and I was happy, But i heard about the solenoid upgrade, and the EPC pressure adjust and found the PML pan. SO i just did everything.

BUT yes the xcal alone can upgrade the pressure, BUT IF THE EPC IS SET to its max it can only push so much, doing the EPC trick will give you even more pressure..

Todd Z

Todd Z I understand about the EPC , I was just trying to get some data if a reprogrammed tranny eliminated the main cause of tranny failure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, I will say yes to a certain extent...

Todd Z

ck, the 5R55E is set with a lower than desired pressure regulator. Wayne can increase the hydraulic shift pressure but not past the set limit on the regulator. Usually this should be good enough to prevent the 2-3 flare. My post is trying to confirm that. You can always manually increase the limit by using the EPC pressure adjust. Todd Z chime in here if I went astray. Once damage is done because of slipping you're screwed. In addition I remember that there was a gasket deterioration problem on one of the selonoids. Can't remember which one(s).

100% you got it...

I had a mild flare occuring under mild acceleration and I took it in for warranty repair. Dealership dropped the pan replaced/repaired a solenoid and adjusted something or other. The flare did not go away. I had it flushed a few days after and the flare disappeared. Not long after, I got an XCal2 running an 87 octane performance tune and so far everything's cool.

The worse problem for a transmission is heat. A slipping tranny generates heat and reduces the life of the tranny. A larger capacity and/or a cooler helps in this area. The chart below shows this very graphically.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator: