REV LIMITER!!!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its computerized so you would have to get the computer re-flashed. If you are going to do this you might as well spend the money and get the XCAL2 and reap the additional benefits of having one.

The rev-limiter is only active when the vehicle is in neutral or park. This is designed to protect the engine from over-reving when there is no load.

I do know that the X-Caliber will removed the speed-limiter (different from the rev-limiter) which prevents the vehicle from going beyond about 97 MPH. There is no valid reason to rev the engine beyond 3000 RPM when in neutral or park, so I would not want my rev-limiter removed or raised.

...Rich

LOL. I do not understand why so many people are upset that there is a rev limiter when there is no load on the engine. I think they don't grasp the concept that the limiter is no longer there when the ST is in motion, as the tach will climb as high as it needs to when it is in gear... At 3k when the limiter kicks in the engine is already plenty loud...Much higher in Neutral or park and it sounds liek it could throw a rod through the case....

A1cntrler (Larry)

I agree 100%. Ford puts a good feature on their vehicles to prevent Idiots from reving the engine and blowing it up, and the owners get paranoid that they have the need, the right, and the desire to do that!!

...Rich

Same goes for speed limiters... the ST is not safe at 100+mph which is why that was put there. Had mine up to 90mph once on a open turnpike, it was squirrely as hell.

Darin,

Most vehicles are not safe to drive at 100 MPH on the highway. The reason for the limit is based on the speed rating of the tires. Early, Job 1 Sport Tracs did not have the speed limiter programmed and could/would exceed 100 MPH. Ford sent out letters stating that the speed limiter had to be programmed to limit the speed to 97 MPH because the transmission bearings were not designed for sustained speeds of over 97 MPH. If you took your Sport Trac in for any service, the dealer would reflash your ECU to limit the top speed to 97 MPH and never told the owners.

All US manufacturers have a Federally imposed speed limiter set based on the tires speed rating. My 1997 Grand Prix had a 104 MPH speed rating which matched the speed rating of the Goodyear Eagle tires that came on the car.

...Rich

335.00 is awfully cheap for the Xcal2..I paid 379.00..seems like good product, my truck has 92,000 miles on it so it's kinda hard to tell...I did notice a difference though

Nearly every imported German car is more then comfortable at 100, 120, or even 140 mph. Most would be sitting pretty at 160 if the speed limiters weren't there. Of course, German cars are designed to be driven at higher rates of speed. One of the big differences between American and Japanese cars from Germans...American cars get iffy above 80ish, Japanese at 90-100ish....but Germans are composed no matter what the speed.

Even though JKII's truck was fine at over 100. I was still one-handing the wheel with the needle pushing 110. Go thing John was asleep and didn't see that....

I think the in-gear limiter is 6250. I had my ST above 6000 twice, although it didn't sound like it was liking it too much.

Have had my trac up to 90 m.p.h. and it was all manner of "squirrely-squeamish"!

If you want a 'Vette or Mustang, by all means, get one. I just don't think our tracs were

meant to go that fast on a regular basis, and I KNOW they weren't meant to handle that

well at that speed. I'm very happy with my trac, for what it was designed for.

Mine usually shifts, at full throttle around 5,600 r.p.m., and I'm not comfortable pushing it

that high, and I've only done it a few times just to see what the automatic transmissions

factory shift points were, and that seems to be my trac's shift points.

Tiger,

I am not questioning the ability of the vehicle to go 100+ MPH or even 150+. The problem is doing it on American highways!

I have lived for 8.5 years in Germany and have driven the autobahns at very high speeds including 150+ in a Fiat Dino with a Farrari V12 engine.

What many people fail to mention is the horrific accidents that they have in Germany when someone going at those speeds looses control. I have seen Porshes in trees after missing a turn and flying off an embackment. The driver was killed instantly. I have also seen Mercedes and BMW's wrapped around trees, broke in half and skidding down the autobahn on their roofs.

The real problem is the other drivers. They are not expecting people to be driving that fast and I wish I had a nickel for every semi that has pull out in front of me to pass another truck going about a half MPH slower than he was. Late at night an Sunday mornings are the best times for high speed driving in Germany. Truckers are not allowed to work on Sundays and in the morning the autobahn is nearly deserted. That does not work as well in the USA. Driving after midnight is better due to the lighter traffic, but the trucks are still there.

...Rich