Review of '07 Shelby GT500 Mustang up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh, if all you want to do is run the track, you need an Ariel Atom.

SST-

Must be bad drivers. I've seen those things out run Porsches on the track. Could be the track too; if it's a high-speed track, an Elise won't show much.

Lotus Elise are not that powerful, they just look it. It's all an illusion ;)

Question though.. I wonder who would win in a 1/4th mile. A GT500, or a Lancer Evolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct that the Elise has a small, less powerful engine, but the Elise is nimble and can beat even the big boys in a slalom race, and that is for a car that costs less than $40,000. :cool:

[Broken External Image]:

The Elise isn't a drag car, it's a track car; as such, big HP numbers aren't of any concern to it, but rather low track times. Besides, it's an English car with a Honda motor (Rover for Europe), neither of which are known for high HP cars.

On the Evo vs the GT500 thing, the GT500 should win. Wouldn't be a blow out, with decent drivers in both cars, but not really an even match either. Put the two on a race track that isn't straight however, and my money is on the Evo. Solid axles don't like racing on curves.

Eeep. It's the grey-market Elises's that use the Honda motor...the white market uses Toyota.

Either way, the motor's aren't known for power.

Now if the SR20 motor was still in production from Nissan, that'd be a heck of a mill for the Elise. 250HP stock, easily upgraded to 400+. Yeah, that'd be sweet.

The Elise also holds the MotorTrend record for the fastest slalom time ever. (see link)

Rocketing to a new 600-foot-slalom record for a certified production car, the Elise made us wonder if we'd inadvertently set up a 500-foot course instead. Nope: While the Boxster S is no slug with its 70.9 mph best, the Elise's furious 73.2 mph is peerless. While both mid-engine cars exhibit uncanny balance, the Lotus's non-power-assisted mechanical steering offers the kind of feedback and immediacy normally found in race cars. The next closest rival through the cones is a near-track-ready $193,000 Ferrari Challenge Stradale (also mid-engine) with its 72.7-mph slalom speed.

A funny thing happened on the way to setting that slalom record: We found it pretty darn easy to do. The Elise communicates to the driver every nuance of tire grip, roll rate, yaw, and the necessary amount of countersteer required to enter the cone field at an indicated 80 mph and yet still exit in full control. Mind you, there's a $2480 Sport package available--which this test unit didn't have. It sharpens the Elise even further with lighter wheels, grippier tires, and track-tuned suspension. Oh, the possibilities.

This photo may explain why the car is so fast (this will fit nicely next to mt ST in the garage. :cool::

[Broken External Image]:

Elise has a Toyota 1.8 Engine not a Honda engine. 190 HP at less than 2000lbs does 0-60 under 5 seconds. HP to Weight Ratio is excellent. And, in the Seattle area they are selling for 50-55 as the dealership is a block from my shop and they sell quite a few of them.

Evo vs a Shelby GT 500? On the track the Evo would kick it's but. On the drag the Shelby would win. However, I can buy an Evo for 30-32K. The new Shelby dealers will be marking those up to sell around 50K.

Our local track will let you rent them, Elise, for 200.00 for 25 min track session so you can get a feel for the car what it can do.

The only thing I noticed was that only if you are one heck of a driver or the other guy in one of the other cars realy sucked then it probaly would be a virtual tie. I mean we arnt talking comparing chevettes to corvetts or a tempo to a cobra... So I guess the most important thing next would be curb appeal (I mean chick appeal). Ferrari I would think with factors like exocitic, italian and name recognition probaly would work quite nicely. Elise a very close second and because it's so small you dont have to worry about the Hawgs trying to slip in on you.:p

I thought this was a post about the Shelby GT500 Mustang? If there is interest in a Elise or Vette thread, start one!