Ridgeline/ST Article - 5/17/06 Detroit News

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see the '07 is a more worthy competitor, but the Ridgeline seems to have the edge on functionality and features, and in this case, for $2000 cheaper.

I remember a comparison Motor Trend TV did between the F-350 DRW and the and the C-3500 DRW.

The Ford had more power, could haul more, handled better, was taller, longer, and wider then the Chevy. The final judgement was a tie. The interior was "more comfortable because of the ride", was easier to park, easier to get into, etc.

It seems like everything you want in a truck like high towing capacity makes it less of a truck because it makes it ride rougher. The only way the weight can be supported is by stiffer springs. Stiffer springs springs makes a rough ride.

Ultimatly, it depends on the agenda of the person writing the article. Sometimes one small point can be used to "even the playing field". We really dant let a Japanese auto maker get beat by an "inferior" domestic company. It just isn't right.

Tom

Knocking the bed extender? Its an OPTION and they ignored its obvious utility in a short bed truck. The point about in bed storage is valid, though. Its time for Ford to start advertising the 2007, to counter the millions of Ridgeline ads I see.

Overall, a pretty fair review. I do think the ST is a little pricey, but they are not exactly the same vehicle. The cost of the V-8 plus the tonneau cover is almost the $2k they are taliking about. I may be wrong, but I don't think you can even put a hard cover on the Ridgeline. And if that is so, I think that significantly impacts the functionality of the Ridgeline. Either you put stuff inside or in the small "trunk", or it's wet.

I just set all the comparisons aside. Both vehicles have their selling points and both have weaknesses when compared to the other. It really depends on what the buyer wants, not the opinion of a writer. Some will buy the Honda soley because it's a Honda; some will buy the Ford for the very same reason. All I can say is that my Trac is the most versatile and reliable vehicle I've ever owned. If the Ridgeline had been the only player in the market when I bought my Trac; i.e., if the Trac hadn't existed, I would have gotten the Ridgeline. I was looking for a short bed pickup with a full size passenger cabin. The F150 Super Crew was too big so it was not even considered. The Sport Trac was the only vehicle I knew of in Feb 2004 that fit my needs. Glad I bought it.

So it says that the Ridgeline finally has some competition? Well, I'm thinking that the ST finally has something to beat the snot out of!;) It is a "johnny-come-lately" afterthought IMO, as it is just getting started! Okay, so I like the ST, and I don't care to compare anything to it. I buy what I like. Honda is fine as a car, but to start calling it the next new wave is baloney. So the editor chose the Ridge and I am not surprised. So be it. It is not going to deter me from a new ST in the future, nor will it make me do a head to head comparison. Lasik1, I do agree with you about the advertising, that is the only way to get the true comparisions of both, but from a sales standpoint, it ain't even close!

I think it says a lot to have an owner (lease) of one vehicle say it's a very tough decision. As you get to know a vehicle, I think you tend to become more comfortable with it. Seems they are both good vehicles and your personal tastes and desired functionality would be the deciding factors.

My husband just leased a Ridgeline and we took it for a quick weekend trip; very comfortable and has that nice Nav system. The trunk is a great feature and does seem more practical than the '07 Trac in-bed storage.

Regarding the hard cover issue - he has found that the rails would have to be installed on the inside of the Ridgeline bed and this would interfere with the operation of the trunk, as it does open well above the edge of the bed.

However, I am still in love with my 2005 Sport Trac - options are where I want them at this point and it does just fine pulling my 2 horse trailer! It is quite funny to see both the Ridgeline and Sport Trac in the garage!! They seem to be getting along just fine!

On the more *objective* side, here's yer DATA: ;)

Specifications Advantage ST (X) Sport Trac Honda Ridgeline

Base MSRP(1) X $26,740 $30,075

Vehicle Length X 210.2 206.8

Vehicle Height X 72.5 70.3

Vehicle Width 73.7 77.8

(excluding mirrors)

Wheelbase X 130.5 122.0

Head Room (F/R) 39.8/38.5 40.7/39.1

Shoulder Room (F/R) 59.0/58.9 63.2/62.6

Hip Room (F/R) 55.4/55.5 57.6/57.2

Leg Room (F/R) X 42.4/36.9 40.8/36.4

Pickup Box Volume X 37.5 NP

(cu. ft.)

Engine X 4.0L SOHC V6 3.5L SOHC V6

Horsepower 210 @ 5100 247 @ 5750

Torque (lb.-ft.) X 254 @ 3700 245 @ 4500

Standard AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control)—

Honda Ridgeline has standard VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) but offers

no sensing or protection in vehicle roll situations.

Available Class IV (5000 lbs. and greater) trailer tow hitch—

Sport Trac maximum towing capability is 6800 lbs. Honda Ridgeline

offers an available Class III hitch (3501 to 5000 lbs.) which is the limit

of its towing capability.

Standard SMC (Sheet Molded Compound) cargo bed—

Honda Ridgeline uses an SRC (Steel Reinforced Compound) cargo bed

which could still be subject to many of the same drawbacks (dents,

dings, rust, etc.) as all-steel cargo boxes.

Cargo bed tie-downs and cargo bed power point — Sport Trac

features a total of 10 cargo tie-downs inside or outside of the cargo

bed and has a standard power point in the cargo bed. Honda Ridgeline

has 6 inside-the-bed tie-downs and does not offer a cargo bed area

12-volt power point.

Intelligent Safety System™ — this standard Sport Trac safety system

provides optimized crash protection through a complex network of sensors

and adaptive restraint components. This Intelligent Safety System is

designed to meet all known government crash test requirements through

the 2010 model year.

Available 4.6L 3-valve SOHC V-8 engine — Honda Ridgeline does not

offer a V-8 engine.

Available class-exclusive 6-speed automatic overdrive — mated only

to the optional 4.6L 3-valve SOHC V-8 engine.

Available Control Trac® Four-wheel Drive System — Control Trac

provides a 2-speed transfer case which allows the driver to choose

4x4 AUTO control for set-and-forget sure-footed control but also provides

the option of choosing 4x4 HIGH for slippery surface driving or 4x4 LOW

for off-road capability and control. In 4x4 LOW the transfer case multiplies

the available engine torque output by 2.48:1 times for the ultimate in

slow-going control. Honda Ridgeline features an automatic four-wheel

drive control but only a single-speed transfer case, not a 2-speed transfer

case with torque multiplication, so how effective can it be in serious

off-road driving?

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't a truck review because there weren't any trucks reviewed. They are SUVs.

IRS and lack of a manual transmission knocks the SportTrac out from being a truck.

The Ridgeline isn't a truck either.

If you want a four-wheeler, get a Rubicon.

If you want a towing vehicle, get an F-350.

re: Ridgeline/ST Article - 5/17/06 Detroit News by Q,5/17/2006 16:42 CT

Gavin - they are not SUVs, if anything the trac is an SUT. You can't haul half the stuff with a RL that you can a trac.

Q out.

"CAN'T HAUL HALF THE STUFF"?

Explorer Sport Trac Ridgeline

Max. Cargo Capacity 37.5 cu. ft. 20.7 cu. ft.

Max. Payload Capacity 1430 lbs. 1554 lbs.

Max. Towing Capacity 6800 lbs. 5000 lbs.

Front Headroom 39.8 in. 38.7 in.

Rear Headroom 38.5 in. 39 in.

Front Shoulder Room 59 in. 63.2 in.

Rear Shoulder Room 58.9 in. 62.6 in.

Front Hip Room 55.4 in. 57.6 in.

Rear Hip Room 55.5 in. 57.2 in.

Front Leg Room 42.4 in. 40.8 in.

Rear Leg Room 36.8 in. 36.4 in.

Maximum Seating 5 5